Essays on the Theme of Heroism

A Real Hero

by Luke Thompson from Charlotte, NC

¨Hard times don't create heroes. It is during the hard times when the hero within us is revealed.¨-Bob Riley. This quote means that everyone has a hero inside them; it just needs to break out of that shell. My dad is a very good example of someone who goes out on the frontlines every day as a police officer. In my eyes, heroes have lots of perseverance and strong character; even if he doesn´t have high tech armor that shoot lasers or a shield made of vibranium, he is my dad.

One of the many admirable traits of  my dad is his enduring perseverance. This has always been a very strong trait of his, as he wakes up at 4:00 in the morning to go out in the pitch darkness to help serve our country. He is also not at all frightened to get a little dirty while on the job, even when he has had to put people in the slammer for different reasons. Finally, he is a loving and caring father. He helps take care of our family every single day by driving us around to activities inside a cooped up Jeep Wrangler. He deals with lots of stress and troubles at work, but has learned to fully trust God in his adventure known as life. These are just a couple of examples of my dad’s exemplary perseverance.

The final thing I want to talk about is my dad’s strong character. My dad is filled with a variety of traits, but the one I wanted to talk about is his caring and trustworthiness. Whenever I am feeling down or filled with despair, I can always go to my dad to tell him what is wrong. Not only this, but he cares enough to always go the extra mile when it comes to caring. He is always willing to drive out in the cold of night to pick-up food or something for a project that I am missing. I will never forget the time when my dad was courageous and daring enough to go investigate when there was a shooter at a CCS baseball game. He is also always willing to put others first, no matter the circumstances.This is only scratching the surface of my dad’s caring and trustworthy character.

Overall, my dad has everything that a teenager could ever wish for such as trustworthiness, a caring heart, perseverance, and a thirst and hunger for God’s purpose in his life. Over everything else, there will be nothing that can ever replace my dad. Psalm 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?” This verse shows how even in the toughest times, we can always trust God and he will help us with our tribulations.