MY HERO

REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

'A vision most needed': Human rights activists win Nobel Peace Prize

by Hanna Arhirova and Frank Jordans Associated Press from Kyiv, Ukraine

This year’s Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Belarus rights activist Ales Bialiatski, Russian group Memorial, and the Ukrainian organization Center for Civil Liberties. The announcement represents a strong reproach to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

149849Ales Bialiatski, the head of Belarusian Vyasna rights group, stands in a defendants' cage during a court session in Minsk, Belarus, Nov. 2, 2011. The 2022 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Mr. Bialiatski, alongside two humans rights organizationsSergei Grits/AP/File

Activists from Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a strong rebuke to Russian President Vladimir Putin whose invasion of Ukraine has outraged the international community and highlighted his authoritarian rule.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the 2022 prize to imprisoned Belarus rights activist Ales Bialiatski, the Russian group Memorial, and the Ukrainian organization Center for Civil Liberties.

Berit Reiss-Andersen, chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, said the panel wanted to honor “three outstanding champions of human rights, democracy, and peaceful coexistence.”

“Through their consistent efforts in favor of human values and anti-militarism and principles of law, this year’s laureates have revitalized and honored Alfred Nobel’s vision of peace and fraternity between nations, a vision most needed in the world today,” she told reporters in Oslo.

Asked whether the Nobel Committee was intentionally sending a signal to Mr. Putin, who celebrated his 70th birthday Friday, Ms. Reiss-Andersen said that “we always give a prize for something and to somebody and not against anyone.”