Amelia Earhart

by Adisa from Des Plaines, Ill.

Amelia and her flying teacher
Amelia and her flying teacher

Do you know a girl who has a sister named Murial, and who was the first girl to fly an airplane?

Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison, Kansas, on July 24, 1897. Amelia had a sibling who was three years younger than her. Her name was Murial. Her parents were Edwin Earhart and Amy Earhart. Her father was a lawyer and her mother was a judge. Her father was an alcoholic.

She graduated from high school and went to Curtis School of Aviation. When she went to school, she preferred to be dressed like a tomboy because she did not like being a girly girl. She played with mud balls and jumped over fences. At school she didn’t hang out with many girls. She mostly hung out with the boys.

Amelia by her first airplane
Amelia by her first airplane

Amelia’s first job was a military nurse. She worked at the Red Cross. Amelia was just volunteering so she could help many other people. She worked as a social worker, pilot, clothing designer, magazine editor, writer, airline executive and a teacher. She was a teacher for the immigrant students. Those are a lot of jobs she worked at!

Amelia’s accomplishments were that she was the first woman to fly across the Pacific Ocean. She went solo from California to Mexico City. She disappeared in the South Pacific in July 1937. She was brave to fly solo to different parts of the world.

Would you ever like to go across the world alone, like Amelia Earhart? I would like to be like Amelia Earhart. She inspired me in some ways. She made it all the way without giving up. Now would you like to be like Amelia and travel to many different places?