Angelina Jolie

by Kayla from Selden, New York

My hero is Angelina Jolie. She was born in Los Angeles on June 4, 1975. As we all know, she is an excellent actress. As a child, her dream was to become a funeral director, but that all changed once she started shooting movies. Her life changed when she starred in "Tomb Raider" in a country called Cambodia. She is an inspiration to many other people, and me. She is my hero because she has done so many things to help poor countries going through hard times. She has also donated millions of dollars to help those countries in need.

Angelina is an inspiration to me because she is so unselfish and generous to other people. She has helped people that she doesn’t even know. She also takes her job as an actress very seriously. That is one of her goals that she has accomplished. She is so thoughtful of others and is very hardworking. She tries her best to make not only her fans happy, but also other people that she has helped around the world.

Angelina is unique and regarded as a hero because of what she has done for all parts of Africa and South America. She has donated millions of dollars to help Afghan refugees, as well as establishing a Cambodian wildlife preserve. She has donated money to rebuild a hospital in Sri Lanka and to help many refugees amassed along the Thai-Myanmar border. There are also refugee camps located in the notorious danger zones of the Balkans, Namibia, Congo, Jordan, Columbia, and Ecuador.

Her passion for her work has won the hearts of UN officials, who called her dedication “exceptional.” On August 27, 2001, she became the Goodwill Ambassador for the UNHCR (United Nations High Commission on Refugees.) A year later, on August 23, 2002, Angelina received another award. She became the first recipient of the Church World Service Immigration and Refugee Program Humanitarian Award. At the ceremony, Angelina was praised for her work and called a “role model, an inspiration to people around the world, especially the young.”

Angelina Jolie is very important to me because she has inspired me to be a better person. She has done so much for other people around the world. She has made a difference in my life because now I know how people in different countries are suffering from poverty and war and there is not much people can do for them. She has made the people of other countries happy. Now they have schools and modern technology like computers. Kids can get an education.