Alexander The Great

by Scott from Ventura

Roman Coin with Alexander The Great
Roman Coin with Alexander The Great

The hero is Alexander the Great. He was born in 356 BC and ascended to the throne in 336 BC. He is considered to be one of the greatest military commanders of all time. During his reign he conquered most of the continent of Asia. He was able to topple Persia, Egypt and India as well as a number of other city states and minor locales. His deeds spread Hellenism, or Greek life around the world. Sadly, he died at the age of 33 and thus was unable to govern the empire that he had conquered. He preached a unified empire based on tolerance of different cultures.

During this time in history, heroes were predominantly military leaders. A hero was somebody who was strong, brave, and a good leader. Intellectual achievement was widely recognized in the Greek culture but not as much so in other countries around the world. Physical achievement defined the apex of heroism.

Alexander the Great helped shape nearly all societies up until the present. His military campaign helped the diffusion of different cultures through different regions, as well as establishing Greece as the dominant culture of the land. This dominance ensured that Greek culture would become the prime basis of the European empires that would later arise. Similarly, the influence of Persian ideas and values into Greece helped to create a better society and vice versa.

Alexander the Great (Mosaic)
Alexander the Great (Mosaic)

Alexander represents the values of strength, leadership and courage. His skill in battle was widely noted, as were his abilities as a general. Alexander, in my eyes, is the great military commander to have ever lived. He was a brilliant fighter and strategist. It is because of these qualities that he was so revered both during his time and up until the present.

Alexander The Great in the battle of Issus

What impresses me the most about Alexander the Great is his military prowess and leadership. Not only do I see him as being the greatest military leader who has ever lived, but I also see him as being one of the greatest leaders of all time. His armies were constantly victorious, giving credence to the notion that he is in fact quite skilled at raising the morale of his troops. These qualities set him apart from other heroes, and someday I would like to achieve the level of leadership that Alexander the Great once held.