Alexandra Scott

by Anjali Jajula from San Diego

She cautiously poured lemonade from a huge jar into a small cup with her tender hands and handed it to a young woman, then placed the one dollar she received into her purse. Alexandra Scott was a little girl who always wanted to help people despite the obstacles that came in the way: just what a hero would do. She was diagnosed by neuroblastoma before her first birthday. At the age of four, when no one knows how to take care of themselves, she thought of others. Her maturity and caring gave her the courage to open a lemonade stand for pediatric cancer research at the age of four. Scott’s little but selfless brain thought people didn't deserve to die with cancer that didn't have a cure. Her strong will and kindness led her to open a lemonade stand for the well being of others. Alexandra Scott’s selflessness to save others’ lives risking her own, and her hard work along with determination towards her goal, makes her a real hero.

132497Alexandra Scott's lemonade standAlsf [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]Scott shows heroism through her benevolence and helping nature towards people. Generous Scott wishes for everyone’s well being: “In 2000, the day after her fourth birthday, Alex received a stem cell transplant. She told her mother, 'When I get out of the hospital I want to have a lemonade stand.' She wanted to give the money to doctors to allow them to help other kids, 'like they helped me'” (“Meet Our Founder”). Young Scott takes pleasure in the work she does, while saying, “I raise money for pediatric cancer research with the help of other kids and grown-ups through my lemonade stand. I give the money I raise to research to find cures for pediatric cancers” (“Interview with Alex”). Scott received a stem transplant when she didn't even know what it meant. She was just four when she went through this troublesome treatment and desired to help kids who were not able to take it. So, she courageously opened a lemonade stand for their welfare. Anyone who is in her position would be more concerned about themselves, but she did not worry about herself, instead, she thought about others who are facing the same problem. She focused more on the future and long-term change rather than the short term. She wished to reduce the number of deaths caused by cancer and raised money to find a cure for it. The little girl wanted to do her best to help them recover. A four-year-old kid would be totally focusing on building Legos or playing with their favorite toys, but little Scott was different. She wanted to help people. This reflects Scott’s extreme altruism. Alexandra Scott’s concern towards others’ welfare has no bounds: “In the greater Philadelphia area, she had access to some of the finest medical care in the world... Alex was, unlike most children her age,... so she launched, with her brother's help, a lemonade stand, with the intention of using her profits to help other children with cancer” (Williamson). Scott was a cancer patient. She was lucky, as she was born into an economically well-developed family and had enough money for the medical facilities for her treatment. Instead of receiving her medication peacefully and focusing on her mental health, she wanted to help others, as she didn't want anyone to suffer. She thought no one deserved to feel distressed and expressed her concern and care by opening a lemonade stand to help other cancer patients by selling lemonade to raise money for the cure. Any other person in her position would be grateful that they have access to medical care, but Alex never thought about herself. In fact, she felt sad for others who were not lucky enough to get medical care. This expresses her graciousness. She was not only a selfless person but also a hardworking and determined girl.

132499Neuroblastoma cellJensflorian [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]Scott’s hard work and determination make her a hero. Scott was so determined and never satisfied: “Alex passed away at the age of eight, knowing that,....she had raised more than $1 million to help find a cure for the disease that took her life" (“Meet Our Founder”). Scott’s lemonade stand was so powerful and strong that she earned two thousand dollars on her first attempt. Two thousand dollars is an adequate amount, but she was not satisfied. That is not what she wanted, she wanted more. Her bravery and enthusiasm made her go even further. So, she opened three more stands and was ready to take the risks. She wanted to be more helpful and desired to reach a goal of one million dollars. Scott reached her goal drastically within three months because of her hard work. She promised that she would raise a million dollars in June and reached it in August. Her determination and hard work are the secrets behind her huge success. A four-year-old announcing that she will make one million dollars and accomplishing it on time shows her capability and strength. No one would stick to their word and work so hard to reach their goal, but a four-year-old has done that because of her dedication. Alexandra Scott’s determination made her work hard to achieve what she wanted: “Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) emerged from the front yard lemonade stand of cancer patient Alexandra 'Alex' Scott. Since Alex held that first stand, the Foundation bearing her name has evolved into a national fundraising movement, complete with thousands of supporters across the country carrying on her legacy of hope” (“ACE Donates $39,462”). She started a lemonade stand which eventually turned into a national fundraising movement because of her hard work. Her determination to help people with cancer and spreading the word about it has no bounds. Her uphill, battle encouraged by her determination, made the foundation a worldwide program. Scott was not only battling against cancer but was also helping others by raising money for cancer’s cure, and made the foundation a worldwide famous one. Anyone in her position would be happy with themselves because of their bravery. They would be proud of handling everything, but Scott didn't complain. People would feel satisfied after opening a lemonade stand, but she was not. She wanted it to be even more - an inspiration. Her dedication and hard work to educate everyone about it and make them involved made her accomplish it. Many people were inspired by her because of her determination and wanted to walk her way and joined the movement. Not only opening a lemonade stand at four years, but also working accordingly and making it famous, makes her a real hero.

132500Kids opening their own lemonade stand by the influence of Alexandra ScottJon_York [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]Alexandra Scott is a real hero and a great inspiration. She was an inspiration because of her self-effacing care for others. Scott even inspired people to never lose hope and work hard to reach what they want. She was matured for a four-year-old and showed that age doesn't matter to help others or to stop anyone from attaining what they want. The little girl helped others even in her roughest period of life: “Alex has endured painful surgeries, radiation treatment, a stem cell transplant, and continual chemotherapy [but still] she has raised funds for cancer research by selling lemonade from a stand in her front yard” (The 2003 Heroes). Young Scott was battling with a life-threatening disease but still didn't give up and kept going. In spite of going through a lot of treatments, she never stopped her service to people. This reflects her character: strong-willed, determined, kind and selfless. By possessing all these qualities, she became an inspiration. She inspired people by never giving up on anything and showed them that they can achieve anything through hard work and dedication. Scott did a lot in her short period of life, which no one would even try to do. Alexandra Scott is someone everyone would want to look up to because of her generosity and maturity for her age. She was battling with cancer and simultaneously helping others at four years, which would impress anyone. She inspires me to never to lose confidence and that nothing is impossible to achieve. Alexandra Scott raised enough money from her lemonade stand by selling one cup for one dollar for the research of cancer, which took her life. Everyone will remember her not only as a cancer savior but also as a young warrior.

"ACE Donates $39,462 to Support Childhood Cancer Research and Awareness." PR Newswire,

20 Sept. 2018. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A554965749/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=9270d629 Accessed 26 Mar. 2019.

“Interview with Alex.” Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer, 25 Jan. 2019,

www.alexslemonade.org/about/meet-alex/interview

“Meet Our Founder: Alexandra Scott.” Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood

Cancer, 1 Feb. 2019, www.alexslemonade.org/about/meet-alex

"The 2003 Heroes for Health Awards. Courage. Compassion. Acts of extraordinary caring."

Good Housekeeping, Dec. 2003, p. 66+. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A110737473/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=2186a6be Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.

Williamson, Kevin D. “The lemonade menace: armed agents of the state protect us from children

everywhere." National Review, 25 Apr. 2016, p. 23+. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A448902066/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=a28bd48a Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.”

Alexandra Scott - A brief description of Alex's life.
Alexandra Scott, a young inspiration - This link shows how she changed the world as a kid
Determined Alexandra Scott - This link shows her determination towards her lemonade stand.
Alexandra Scott - This link shows her contributions
Alex's Lemonade Stand - The growth of her lemonade stand.