Stephen E. Ambrose

by Robert from USA

My hero is Stephen Ambrose. He lived in New Orleans, Louisiana from January 10, 1936 to October 13. 2002. He was 66 when he died. Ambrose is still remembered today in the Garden of Memory Cemetery in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

My hero has done many great things. He was an expert historian. Ambrose earned a Ph.D and he taught at New Orleans University from 1960 – 1995. He wrote over four best-selling American History books. Some of these include, Band of Brothers, The Wild Blue, Undaunted Courage, and Nothing Like It In the World.

One of the greatest achievements of his life was founding the National D-day Museum. This Museum is one of the most famous in the country. It represents all of the men who died trying to liberate Europe during World War II. It also has artifacts from the invasion.

Stephen Ambrose did many amazing things. He made people more aware of American freedom. He changed the way people look at war. After reading some of his books, it certainly changed the way I look at war. He also helped me understand history better. He does that by breaking down his topics and writing them so you understand them better. That is a good thing because a lot of the time history topics can be challenging. Stephen Ambrose is one of the greatest writers of all time. He is a hero to me.