Andy Warhol

by Christian Devine from San Diego

120978Andy Warhol museumwww.flickr.com Imagine the most successful and highly paid commercial illustrator, who changed the perspective on screen printed images. He made them stand out with pop art, abstract lines, and detailed color. This is what Andy Warhol did.  Andy Warhol created a variety of different paintings that were quickly recognized for their uniqueness and creativity. “Andy Warhol, whose full name was Andrew Warhola, was born on August 6, 1928 and died February 22, 1987, he grew up in a two-room apartment at 73 Orr Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He lived with his parents and two brothers, and was the youngest in the family. In 1934, the family moved to 3252 Dawson Street in Pittsburgh’s South Oakland neighborhood, which was closer to their church St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic.” (The Andy Warhol Museum) Andy Warhol possesses unique artististic skills and creativity, which makes him an open minded person who thinks like no other, therefore, making him a hero.

120953Painted Campbell Soup Cancollections.lacma.org Andy Warhol is considered a hero because he traveled around the world discovering new kinds of art style and opened up museums to display his own unique artwork. Since his dad died when he was young, he was determined to accomplish his dreams in art and engineering. “Often called the father of pop art, Andy Warhol influenced a generation of artists with his irreverent approach to the fundamental question of what constitutes art. In so doing, he became a symbol of popular culture. As one writer said, ‘Even though most people are not sure exactly what Andy was famous for, his name permeates our culture ... it turns up everywhere’” (Pohlad). Most of the people did not understand what he was trying to portray with his artwork, but he had such a unique style, he still has people wondering about the intentions of his work today. He influenced a generation of artists with his own style of approach to the question of art. He had a very unique mindset that thought like no other, and had bright ideas that contributed to his creative work. “Warhol quickly became notorious for his paintings of Campbell's Soup cans, which were first exhibited at Los Angeles' Ferus Gallery in 1962. These paintings were straightforward renderings of row upon row of soup cans. Not just publicity gambits, these were important avant-garde works, signaling a major change in the nature of art” (James). This was an incredibly positive reaction to the passionate work of Warhol and his pop artist mind. The soup cans were painted in the same spirit as Marcel Duchamp's "readymades" objects designated as artworks merely by the artist's choice and recontextualization. Warhol was forced to defend the paintings as legitimate artworks when the Campbell Soup Company sued him for copyright infringement. Andy Warhol created the famous Campbell soup logo, which soon got recognized and produced on cans. Andy Warhol possesses unique artist skills and creativity which makes him an open minded person who had a unique mindset that therefore made him a hero.

120968Marilyn MonroeAliExpress.com Andy Warhol is also considered a hero for his creative mindset for his work of pop art and screen printed images. His work of art is so creative that his most famous piece of artwork is the Marilyn Monroe. “Although Warhol was intentionally obscure about his background, he was born Andrew Warhola, the son of a Czech Roman Catholic emigrant miner, in remote Forest City, Pennsylvania. After his father's early death, Warhol enrolled in Pittsburgh's Carnegie Institute of Technology as an art student in 1946. At this time he worked as a window decorator in a Pittsburgh department store. By 1950 he had shortened his name to Andy Warhol, and had moved to New York where his reputation as a designer quickly blossomed” (James). His creativity inspired him to become a better artist and later he moved to New York after his father's death to pursuit his dream of becoming an artist. In memory of his death, he opened up his first museum on May 13, 1994. He was dedicated to produce magnificent artwork in honor of his dad passing away when he was a little kid. “Warhol's work remains a source of delight and debate. Several museums have hung large exhibitions since his death. In 1994 the Andy Warhol Museum was opened in his hometown of Pittsburgh. It is the largest museum in the United States devoted to a single artist, with more than five hundred of his works on display. On the first day of its opening, the museum attracted more than fourteen thousand visitors” (Pohlad). His work is in several museums and one opened in his hometown after his death. This influenced the thoughts about Andy Warhol's artwork and creativity of the illustration he puts into his work of art. Andy Warhol possesses unique artist skills and creativity which makes him an open minded person who thinks like no other therefore making him a hero.

The way that film production and art will be forever changed by the work of an American artist, because of the many followers that admire his work and would make in their own. Warhol was not a stereotypical artist that hid from others and had no social skills; He was a man that had bright ideas to lead into new boundaries. Through Warhol’s success in his field, how he connected new ideas through his work, his integrity in wanting to be different, and his creative self confidence, Warhol clearly demonstrates the qualities of a hero.

"Andy Warhol." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, edited by Sara Pendergast and

Tom Pendergast, St. James Press, 2000. Biography in Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2419201275/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=1229464

. Accessed 30 Jan. 2018.

"Andy Warhol." UXL Biographies, UXL, 2011. Student Resources in Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EJ2108102360/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=c39b1b1d. Accessed 30 Jan. 2018.

The Andy Warhol Museum. “Andy Warhol's Life.” The Andy Warhol Museum,

www.warhol.org/andy-warhols-life/.

Menand, Louis. "Top of the Pops." The New Yorker, 11 Jan. 2010, p. 57. Gale Biography In

Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A216294009/GPS?u=powa9245&sid=GPS&xid=

6f2e50c. Accessed 30 Jan. 2018.