ROBERT SHETTERLY

Artwork by Robert Shetterly

Artwork from Robert Shetterly's collection Americans Who Tell the Truth.

Robert Shetterly

Zora Neale Hurston by Robert Shetterly, AWTT

By: Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth
Zora Neale Hurston was an American author and playwright during the Harlem Renaissance.

Sue Coe

By: Robert Shetterly
Americans Who Tell The Truth - portraits and quotes by Robert Shetterly

Sister Lucy Poulin

By: Robert Shetterly
"We must realize the truth of ourselves -- we are one human family. One a part of the other. My old work horse Teddy and the fancy registered horse visiting us had no trouble eating out of the same dish. We must discover the same." Member and leader of Homeworkers Organized for More Employment; recognized for fighting unemployment, illiteracy, and despair among the rural poor in northern Maine.

Oren Lyons

By: Robert Shetterly
Native-American Faithkeeper, Human Rights Advocate, Environmental Activist: b. 1930 "The law says if you poison the water, you'll die. The law says that if you poison the air, you'll suffer. The law says if you degrade where you live, you'll suffer. If you don't learn that, you can only suffer. There's no discussion with this law."

Frances Crowe

By: Robert Shetterly
Frances Crowe (born March 15, 1919) is an American peace activist and pacifist from the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts.

Gerald E. Talbot

By: Robert Shetterly
In 1972, Talbot became the first member of the Maine House of Representatives when he was elected to represent part of Portland, Maine Democratic Party

Betty Morgan

By: Robert Shetterly

Grace Lee Boggs

By: Robert Shetterly
Grace Lee Boggs (June 27, 1915 October 5, 2015) was an American author, social activist, philosopher and feminist

Van Jones

By: Robert Shetterly

Paul Robeson by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Singer, Writer, Civil Rights Activist: 1898 - 1976 "The talents of an artist, small or great, are God given. They've nothing to do with him as a private person; they're nothing to be proud of. They're just a sacred trust... Having been given, I must give. Man shall not live by bread alone, and what the farmer does I must do. I must feed the people-with my songs."

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002)

By: Robert Shetterly
Henry "Harry" Hay, Jr. was an advocate for American gay rights, communism, labor, and Native American civil rights. He has been called "the father of gay liberation."

Jeannette Rankin (1880 - 1973)

By: Robert Shetterly
Jeannette Rankin was the first woman to serve in the U.S. Congress. She helped pass the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote, and was a committed pacifist.

Helen Thomas

By: Robert Shetterly
Author, journalist, columnist 1943 - 2013 Pioneering female reporter; first female member of the White House press corps

Bill McKibben by Robert Shetterly. AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly

Daniel Ellsberg by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly from Americans Who Tell the Truth
Daniel Ellsberg decided to expose the Pentagon Papers which helped end the Vietnam War.

Cesar Chavez by artist Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

Cesar Chavez by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth

Susan B Anthony by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of womens rights activist Susan B Anthony by Robert Shetterly

Louis Studs Terkel by Robert Shetterly, AWTT

By: Robert Shetterly
Terkel wrote "The Good War": An Oral History of World War Two which won the Pulitzer Prize; Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression; and Working.

John Lewis by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights hero John Lewis as painted by Robert Shetterly

Alice Waters by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Alice Waters crusader for children's nutrition and farm to table California chef as depicted by Robert Shetterly

Aldo Leopold

By: Robert Shetterly
Robert Shetterly paints Aldo Leopold as part of the Americans Who tell the Truth project

Ron Kovic by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Ron Kovic, author, activist and peacemaker is painted by Robert Shetterly for Americans Who Tell the Truth.org with Ron's words indicting war in the background

Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Robert Shetterly, AWTT

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of women's rights activist Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Robert Shetterly

Abraham Lincoln

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of Abraham Lincoln by Robert Shetterly and from Americans Who Tell the Truth

James Baldwin by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights activist and writer James Baldwin portrayed as an American Who Tells the Truth by Robert Shetterly

Mother Jones by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
From the 1890s through the 1920s Mother Jones, (Mary Harris) worked to advance the abolition of child labor and the organizing of the United Mine Workers.

Ai-jen Poo

By: Robert Shetterly
Robert Shetterly paints activist Ai-Jen Poo

Chief Joseph Hinmton Yalektit by Robert Shetterly

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of Chief Yalektit by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth.org

Eugene V. Debs by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Debs was a co-founder of the Industrial Workers of the World (aka the Wobblies), and one of the first national industrial unions in the US, the American Railway Union. He spent time in jail for the Pullman Car Strike and for speaking out against America's involvement in World War I. He ran for US President five times as a socialist. He

Frederick Douglass by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of Civil War era African American hero Frederick Douglass by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth

Helen Keller by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Helen Keller, advocate for the disabled

Howard Zinn

By: Robert Shetterly
Activist, author and playwright known for A People's History of the United States

Jane Addams by Robert Shetterly, AWTT

Social reformer Jane Addams as painted by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who tell the Truth

John Muir by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Conservationist, naturalist and explorer, John Muir (1838 - 1914) was a well-written and outspoken advocate for conservancy.

Lateefah Simon by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Working for incarcerated youth, Lateefah Simon is a hero for children's rights and rehabilitation

Lily Yeh by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of Lily Yeh, community activist and artist, by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth.org

Malcolm X

By: Robert Shetterly
African-American leader and prominent figure in the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X articulated concepts of race pride and black nationalism in the 1950s and '60s

Martin Luther King, Jr. By Robert Shetterly, AWTT

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of Civil Rights Leader MLK Jr by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth.org

Muhammad Ali

By: Robert Shetterly
Arguably boxing's most celebrated athlete, heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali was also known for his public stance against the Vietnam War and his longtime battle with Parkinson's disease.

Noam Chomsky by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, historian, political activist, and social critic

Pete Seeger by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Portrait of musician activist Pete Seeger

Rachel Carson by Roberty Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Often referred to as "The Mother of the Environmental Movement," Carson worked hard to raise awareness of the environmental and health risks caused by chemicals

Robert F. Kennedy by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Politician, Social Justice advocate and brother of late US President John F Kennedy

John Hunter

By: Robert Shetterly

Samantha Smith

By: Robert Shetterly
Samantha Reed Smith (June 29, 1972 - August 25, 1985) was an American schoolgirl from Manchester, Maine, who became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" in the United States and the "Goodwill Ambassador" in the Soviet Union during her short lifetime.

Granny Doris Haddock by Robert Shetterly, AWTT

By: Robert Shetterly
Peace and democracy activist Granny D Haddock by Robert Shetterly

Alice Walker by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Alice Walker, African American author of Color Me Purple, painted by Robert Shetterly

Winona LaDuke

Rosa Parks by Robert Shetterly

Rosa Parks by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org , 2002 Americans Who Tell the Truth "The only tired I was, was tired of giving in." - Rosa Parks -

Shirley Chisholm by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
"Prejudice and hatred built the nation’s slums, maintains them and profits by them…. we are exposed as hypocrites when we talk about making people free."

Watch this film about Robert Shetterly produced by MY HERO

Robert Shetterly

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Artist, Robert Shetterly discusses his series, americans who tell the truth

About Robert Shetterly

Robert Shetterly was born in 1946 in Cincinnati, Ohio. He graduated in 1969 from Harvard College with a degree in English Literature. At Harvard he took some courses in drawing which changed the direction of his creative life -- from the written word to the image. Also, during this time, he was active in Civil Rights and in the Anti-Vietnam War movement.

After college and moving to Maine in 1970, he taught himself drawing, printmaking, and painting. While trying to become proficient in printmaking and painting, he illustrated widely. For twelve years he did the editorial page drawings for The Maine Times newspaper, illustrated National Audubon's children's newspaper Audubon Adventures , and approximately 30 books.

Robert's paintings and prints are in collections all over the U.S. and Europe. A collection of his drawings & etchings, Speaking Fire at Stones, was published in 1993. He is well known for his series of 70 painted etchings based on William Blake's "Proverbs of Hell," and for another series of 50 painted etchings reflecting on the metaphor of the Annunciation.

His painting has tended toward the narrative and the surreal,however, for more than ten years he has been painting the series of portraits Americans Who Tell the Truth . The exhibit has been traveling around the country since 2003. Venues have included everything from university museums and grade school libraries to sandwich shops, the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York City, and the Superior Court in San Francisco. To date, the exhibits have visited 26 states. In 2005, Dutton published a book of the portraits by the same name. In 2006, the book won the top award of the International Reading Association for Intermediate non-fiction.

The portraits have given Shetterly an opportunity to speak with children and adults all over this country about the necessity of dissent in a democracy, the obligations of citizenship, sustainability, US history, and how democracy cannot function if politicians don't tell the truth, if the media don't report it, and if the people don't demand it.

Shetterly has engaged in a wide variety of political and humanitarian work with many of the people whose portraits he has painted. In the spring of 2007, he traveled to Rwanda with Lily Yeh and Terry Tempest Williams to work in a village of survivors of the 1994 genocide there. Much of his current work focuses on honoring and working with the activists trying to bring an end to the terrible practice of Mountaintop Removal by coal companies in Appalachia, on climate change, and on the continuation of systemic racism in the US particularly in relation to the school-to-prison pipeline.

Since 1990, he has been the President of the Union of Maine Visual Artists (UMVA), and a producer of the UMVA's Maine Masters Project, an on-going series of video documentaries about Maine artists.

Americans Who Tell the Truth has been an active partner of The MY HERO Project Gallery, specifically promoting activism and compassion through the vehicle of fine art.

Awards and commendations:

• In 2005, the Maine People’s Alliance awarded him its Rising Tide award.

• Also in 2005, he was named an Honorary Member of the Maine Chapter of Veterans for Peace.

• In May 2007, Rob received a Distinguished Achievement Award from the University of Southern Maine and gave the Commencement Address at the University of New England which awarded him an Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters.

• In 2009, he was named a Woodrow Wilson Visiting Fellow that enables him to do week long residences in colleges around the country.

• The University of Maine at Farmington awarded him an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters in 2011.

Robert Shetterly lives, with his partner Gail Page, a painter and children’s book writer and illustrator, in Brooksville, Maine.

Links

Robert Shetterly's Americans Who Tell the Truth Website
Credit: AWTT

These Speaking Truth to Youth videos reflect AWTT belief that their portrait subjects are not superheroes but real people whose work is driven by moral courage and a passion for truth and justice. 

Speaking Truth to Youth
Credit: AWTT

Organizer created on 7/14/2022 1:21:54 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 1/15/2024 2:57:46 PM by Laura Nietzer