Augustus Caesar

by Andrew Zhang from San Diego, California in United States

120677The gaze of Augustushttps://www.quora.com/Roman-Empire-How-was-Augustus-as-a-emperorA heart is essential to support a person’s life. The stronger a heart beats, the healthier a person is. The leader is just like the heart of a nation. A strong leader shall lead his nation to greatness. Augustus was the most powerful heart of the Roman Empire. Augustus Caesar, the first emperor of Rome, a hero who brought light and a 200-year-peace to his people . As an emperor, Augustus take the most responsibilities in Rome. When challenges occur, he must be brave enough to stand up first and response after deep consideration. His considerate and brave made it possible for the prosperous of Rome.

120679The faith of Augustushttps://owlcation.com/humanities/How-did-Augustus-consolidate-his-powerAugustus overthrew the malfunctioned government with great courage. The noble families governed Rome murdered anybody who was brave enough to take away their power or damage their profits,  “Remembering, however, that Caesar had been assassinated because of his resort to naked power”(Michael). Augustus’s uncle and adoptive father Julius was assassinated by the noble families. As a general, he took the power of council and tried to establish monarchy. Although he brought Rome hope, his actions were not accepted. That gave a warning to Augustus Caesar. If he tried to take the power of the noble families, he might end up like his adoptive father. However, Augustus was not afraid. Under such pressure, he still decided to take the responsibilities and to save his country. In fact, Augustus’s position in Roman council was not quite ideal. Indeed, he had Julius Caesar’s political legacy, but people didn’t like him and truly support him, and what the allies of Caesar wanted was only his absolute power. Augustus understood his situation, he knew the door of hell could open for him anytime. But the flaming courage was more powerful than the fear of death in Augustus’ young heart. The great courage ignited his hope and gave him faith. Sacrificing one’s self is a inevitable fate of great leaders. For the good of Rome, Augustus had to be brave enough to make hard decisions: “Though he had simply taken it for granted that that was the Roman way, he really did love her, but Julia's behavior was putting him in a very difficult position. Julia was banished to a barren island”(Thompson). Julia was Augustus’ only child and she was witty and intelligent. However, she was not a nice example of a princess. Due to her scandalous behaviour, Augustus exiled her for public good. As the empire of Rome, Augustus had to have a perfect impression in people’s hearts and lead them on the right trait. Apparently, Julia’s behavior was disrupting people’s mind and it was against Augustus’ moral. That could stain Augustus' image and affect people’s opinion towards the empire’s rule. Consequently, people wouldn’t trust Augustus’ words. It was Augustus’ duty of keeping Rome in order. Therefore, he must give Julia punishments. Yet, Julia was Augustus’ only child. Just imagine, how much courage he needed to exile his own daughter and he could never meet her again. But he executed his decision. That was exactly the courage he needed to become a great hero and a great leader of Rome. In consideration of empires’ responsibilities and vast challenges they would encounter, they must have surprising courage to take them. In another words, people who choose to lead a country all have a brave heart. Having courage was exactly a critical reason for why Augustus can be considered “ great ”.

120681The consideration of Augustushttps://queenwood.instructure.com/courses/364649/pages/augustusThriving Rome was the result of Augustus’ consideration. After careful consideration, Augustus would give his trustworthy allies enough power and support: “Augustus thought highly of Herod's ability as a ruler and valued his personal friendship. He approved of Herod's efforts to introduce Roman culture into Judea and for this reason paid little heed to the claims of Herod's enemies, foreign and domestic”(Berenbaum and Skolnik). Herod was the Roman client king of Judea. He helped Augustus defeat Antony and gained favor of Augustus. It’s impossible to rule the entire Rome and the vassal states on Augustus’ own. He needed allies and helpers. However, it’s dangerous to give power to people who had intentions of betraying their emperor. Therefore, Augustus must make decisions after considering thousands of times. Herod was a good example. Herod’s assistance of defeating Antony was critical, but no one knows if Herod’s final purpose was the throne of Rome. Herod didn’t get Augustus’ support until he interacted a lot with this Judean king. To contribute to people and make Rome stable, Augustus must restore peace in Rome, “With little inclination toward the military life, he was chary of war and, while ever mindful of Roman interests, generally shied away from anything that might warrant extensive military activity” (Comire). Before Augustus’ rule, Rome had encountered couple external wars and civil wars. These wars made the Roman people tired and nibbled up Rome’s society. Augustus ended the wars and put his attention on construction. A great emperor should always consider his people. If an emperor only cares about his personal good or expanding his country, then he can be considered as a tyrant. Wars can bring some profits, but common people sacrifice the most in a war. Rome was a bellicose country. The wars made Rome have plenty of resources. However, Roman citizens suffered the most from the ruin caused by battles.  Augustus finally understand this after the first lost in his life. He considered that people’s life quality  was the most important thing in Rome.  He believed that only peace can give Rome a chance to thrive. He was correct. The 200-year-peace Augustus started was the most  flourishing time in Rome. The consideration of people also made him heroic. Emperors who consider and think before making a decision can be recognized as smart rulers, but emperors who really consider their people can be recognized as “great”. These great emperors give their nations life and hope and can truly be recognized as heroes. Augustus was one of them.

120685The glory of Augustushttp://earlyworldhistory.blogspot.com/2012/04/augustus-caesar.html Augustus’ brave and considerate soul dispersed the thick mist and gave Roman people hope. He was a true hero in human history. Many people believe the supreme power emperors have can bring them enjoyable lives. However, these thoughts are wrong. Emperors have to take more responsibilities than anyone else. Being an emperor is absolutely tiring. They are also facing assassin every moment. Although Augustus knew how difficult it is to rule a country, he took the power while experiencing massive amount of difficulties. It was his braveness and consideration that finally led him to the throne. These criteria also helped him earn the respect of people. Even after his death, he was still in Roman people’s hearts. They even named a month  “August” to commemorate him. It takes courage and consideration to become a good leader. Since the leaders are critical for the future of teams, they cannot fear the challenges and cannot avoid bold decisions.  Augustus found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble. We can also lead your team to achieve a magnificent goal  by being brave and considerate.

Work Cited

"Augustus." Historic World Leaders, edited by Anne Commire, Gale, 1994. Biography in Context,Grant, Michael.

Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik Macmillan Reference USA, 2007. Biography in Context

Gafni, saiah. "Augustus, Emperor of Rome." Encyclopaedia Judaica, edited by Michael.

Thompson, James C. “Judea, Daughter of Augustus.” WOMEN IN THE ANCIENT WORLD, July 2010

“Augustus.” Ancient History Encyclopedia - Ideas about Augustus' contribution
“Why Augustus Was One of History's Greatest Leaders.” - The ideas about the peace Augustus made
"Augustus, Emperor of Rome." - The ideas about the relationships between Augustus and Herod