Beverly Cleary

by Catherine from Des Plaines, Ill.

119998Beverly ClearyUnknown author / Public domain

Beverly Cleary is a famous author. She wrote my favorite book, "Mouse and the Motorcycle." Beverly's real name was Atlee Bunn. She was born in McMinnville, Oregon, on April 12, 1916. Beverly liked humor books and realistic books. She wanted to be a writer and a children’s librarian. Beverly moved at Portland, Oregon, and married Clarence T. Cleary.

Beverly went to school in Yamhill. She liked stories, and she liked going to the library. She entered the school of librarianship at University of Washington, in Seattle. On Saturdays she told stories to the children.

Beverly was a librarian at Oakland Army Hospital in 1940. Her first book was "Henry Huggins." She won a Newberry Medal Award for "Dear Mr. Henshaw" in 1978. She won a Newberry Honor Book Award for "Ramona and Her Father" in 1982. Her book "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" won the American Library Association Award. Over the many years of her career, she won over 35 awards.

The other books she wrote are "Sequel Strider" and "Beezus and Ramona." In 1961, she wrote her autobiography, "Emily’s Runaway Imagination."

Beverly Cleary is one of my favorite authors. I enjoy the many characters in her stories. I also like the illustrations in her books. Beverly has inspired me to write more stories in school and to improve my writing.

HarperCollins Publishers - Information about Beverly Cleary and her books

Cleary, Beverly. She Makes Reading Fun. Vero Beach: Rourke Enterprises, 1987. 23

Apseloff, Fain Marilyn. "Beverly Cleary. "2004. 660-661/4

unknown. "Beverly Cleary Biography." [Online] Available http://falcon.jmy.edu/ramseyill/clearybio.htm.