Bethany Hamilton

by Alexis from San Diego, California in United States

121910Bethany Hamilton, a professional surfer.Kanaka RastamonShredding Waves to Inspire Others

“I remember thinking, ‘I hope the surf picks up soon…,’ when suddenly there was a flash of gray. That’s all it took: a split second…. I knew that the huge jaws of a fifteen-foot tiger shark covered the top of my board and my left arm….My left arm was gone almost to the armpit…” (Hamilton). While surfing, 13-year-old Bethany Hamilton experienced a traumatic shark attack. Most people would have kept away from the ocean, but Hamilton persevered and achieved her dream of becoming a professional surfer. Heroes are courageous people who strive to improve themselves and help others. Heroes come in different forms; some perform heroic acts daily, such as firefighters, while others become heroes by engaging in one extraordinary act, such a saving a person’s life. After they perform a courageous act and positively impact someone’s life, they are worthy of being called a hero. A hero is someone who is positive and perseveres despite facing adversity.

Bethany Hamilton can be classified as a hero because she refused to allow obstacles to interfere with her dream of becoming a professional surfer. On October 31, 2003, Hamilton was surfing with her best friend near her hometown on Kauai. All of a sudden, a shark attacked Hamilton and ripped off her left arm. Not only did she survive the attack, she overcame difficult challenges that came with only having one arm. She claims that her recovery was possible because she had her family and faith in God to help her. A hero must possess the ability to persevere through challenges they face and to create a positive atmosphere around them. Bethany Hamilton is a hero because she has the ability to maintain a positive outlook on life after experiencing a tragic event, and effortlessly perseveres through her everyday obstacles.

121911Bethany Hamilton, surfing with one arm.Nathan Rupert    The tragic surf incident could have eliminated Hamilton’s dreams, but her unique, positive attitude qualifies her as a hero. Hamilton’s faith in God has led her to be a very positive person; instead of dwelling on the fact she lost her arm, she uses it as a way to teach others about trusting God.  In her autobiography Soul Surfer, she explains how she would like to help others: “I think that if I can help other people find hope in God, then that is worth losing my arm for….And I am thankful. I could have died. I could have been really mangled. I could have been hurt so bad that I might not have been able to surf again” (Hamilton). She emphasizes that the aftermath of her shark attack could have been a lot worse and that she is grateful to be alive.  Hamilton’s use of “I could have” is her way of telling others the she was fortunate that it was only her arm that she lost. Hamilton is selfless by saying the loss of her arm was worth it if she could help others. She wants to share her strong faith in God and hopes to inspire others to overcome challenges in their lives. She says that it was her belief in God that helped her to preserve during the many hours of training she needed to allow her to surf again.  Furthermore, in her autobiography Hamilton presents a positive attitude toward surfing with one arm:“Despite her injury, Hamilton wanted to surf again right away.…Hamilton began surfing again about three weeks later, and competed for the first time in early 2004” (“Bethany Hamilton”). As her autobiography states, “three weeks later,” it proves she had a positive mindset and returned because of her love for surfing. Hamilton’s optimistic outlook proves that truly successful people are a product of their attitude. It is the same attitude that inspires those around her to remain positive in the face of adversities. Additionally, during her interview with Talks at Google, she shares that her courage was needed for her to surf again. In the interview, Hamilton explains her positive goal of returning to surfing after the shark attack: “So before I even got out of the hospital which was less than a week I was already planning to try surfing with one arm and basically just waiting for the doctor to allow me back in the ocean after healing” (“Bethany Hamilton - Talks at Google”). Her optimism is remarkable as she has a positive tone describing how she felt at the hospital. She was positive about surfing again, even though she would face many obstacles. Hamilton was courageous to enter the ocean, while not focusing on the negative things that could occur, such as another shark attack. Hamilton continues to have a positive look on life, and she is able to do that by having a strong relationship with God and her family.

As Hamilton lives life with one arm, she constantly and tirelessly perseveres through the challenges she faces proving she is a hero. Hamilton talks about how she was uncertain if she could ever surf again. She recalls that a talk with a friend who had lost his leg motivated her to get back on her surfboard. “‘I had moments of doubt after losing my arm--can I really do this? But after talking to a friend who had lost his leg before he learned how to surf, I realized that if he could learn how to surf on one leg, I could re-learn how to surf with one arm’” (Viti).  Although Hamilton doubted herself, she overcame those feelings and did not give up on her passion for surfing. She uses this experience to inspire others to not to give up when facing overwhelming obstacles. Her perseverance is evident in that she does not let this tragic event destroy her dream of becoming a professional surfer. Once again, Hamilton persevered by returning to surfing quickly after the attack. In the article “Bethany Hamilton”, the author Lucia Viti describes what Hamilton had to undergo after the shark attacked her: “Despite losing 60% of her blood and enduring several surgeries, Hamilton tackled the surf less than a month later, riding a custom-built board that included a handle for her right arm” (Viti). Hamilton did not stop to rest after undergoing multiple surgeries. She persevered when learning how to work with a modified surfboard. It takes true passion, determination, and courage to return to the ocean after such a devastating experience. Furthermore, Hamilton remembers how she persevered when returning to surfing after the attack. “On the third try, I popped right up and rode the wave all the way to the beach and just had tears of joy and was just so excited to be doing what I love to do” (“Bethany Hamilton - Talks at Google”). Hamilton paints an image of her excitement when surfing with one arm for the first time. Although she struggled, she persevered and tried again. If she did not give it a third try, she may have given up her dream of surfing professionally. She realized that she would have to find tools to help her, but she is up for that challenge. Hamilton did not let losing an arm stand in her way; she persevered and made adjustments to overcome overwhelming hardships.

121912Bethany HamiltonKanaka Rastamon    As an inspirational woman and surfer, Bethany Hamilton’s ability to remain positive about her life and refuse to give up when faced with challenges makes her a hero. After undergoing a shark attack at the age of thirteen, Hamilton continued to achieve her dreams. Hamilton’s positivity is contagious as she does not let the loss of an arm stop her. Her passion toward surfing helps her persevere through obstacles. She persevered when finding an alternative way to surf and returned to the ocean less than a month after the attack. Through her autobiography, movie, and guest appearances on talk shows, Hamilton portrays a positive image that continues to inspire others. In her book, Soul Surfer, she states, “Once a girl (I never got her name) came up and told me that she had had cancer. When she saw my story it made her realize that she didn't need to give up; it made her want to fight hard too” (Hamilton). Hamilton is an inspiration to people who want to persevere to achieve their own dreams and overcome adversities. She was courageous to return to surfing so quickly. Hamilton defied odds after being attacked by a fifteen-foot tiger shark. Wanting to fulfill her potential, Hamilton worked hard to become a professional surfer. Spreading her story encourages everyone to be positive and to persevere. To be truly positive and grateful, people usually experience a tragic event that impacts their life. After persevering through a traumatic event, Hamilton will forever be an inspiration and hero to society.

"Bethany Hamilton." Gale Biography in Context, Gale, 2005. Biography in Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1650004634/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=8d3e09fb.

DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. Accessed 21 Dec. 2017.

“Bethany Hamilton - Talks at Google.” YouTube, uploaded by Talks at Google, 13 November

2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmgPOFwK-g

Hamilton, Bethany, et al. Soul Surfer. Gallery Books, 2011.

Viti, Lucia. “Bethany Hamilton. (Cover Story)." American Fitness, vol. 31, no. 4, Jul/Aug2013,  

pp. 32-34. EBSCOhost,

search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=88458677&site=ehost-live.DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL.