Bill Graham

www.wolfgangsvault.com
www.wolfgangsvault.com

Bill came to America as a young boy with nothing and created a Rock and Roll industry that employed thousands and entertained millions around the world. Bill Graham devoted his life to creating unique environments where artists and musicians celebrate life together with thousands of young fans.

I was fortunate to interview this popular culture icon in 1981. He was hard at work producing the Rolling Stones World Tour. The venue was the lawns outside a beautiful castle in Ireland. Over 20 production trucks were unloading the elaborate sets, sound and lighting systems. I found Bill Graham, the producer of this extravaganza was looking over the gentle slope of the meadow, in the background a beautiful castle. Bill was talking to the local promoters his partners on this venture. It seemed that the local boys had tried to cut corners on the toilets. It was then that I witnessed one of Bill Graham's (rather well known ) fits. "How dare you, we come all the way here to play in this beautiful venue for 60,000 fans of the Rolling Stones and you are only going to provide 4 toilets? Are you out of your minds? We will cancel the concert and give these people back their money if you are not going to treat them right." In a matter of a few hours the problem was resolved and Graham once again had his way.

I was amazed, here was this multi millionaire with over 40 employees paying attention to this very important detail. He really cared about the audience and he really wanted everyone to have a great time at one of his events. The concert went off without a hitch, and Bill did not spend too much time enjoying his success for as soon as it was over they packed up their gear and headed to France to prepare for their next show in Paris. Bill Graham was the leader of an amazing traveling invisible circus of highly talented technicians, designers and artists all working together to bring thousands of fans the kind of rock and roll shows they would never forget.

Bill had a vision of what might be and made it happen. Over and over again.

The Bill Graham Foundation
Bill Graham was a special friend to Rock Medicine and the Haight Ashbury Free Clinics - At his death, scores of donations poured into the Clinics, allowing them to create the Bill Graham Center for Health and Recovery,
Bill Graham Awards - The Rex Foundation sponsors this award established in memory of pioneerng producer and founding Rex board member Bill Graham, himself a refugee, is designated for organizations and individuals working to assist children who are victims of oppresion
"Mama Menorah," the Bill Graham Menorah in S.F., was the first of its kind in the world. It is a 22 foot high Menorah designed to be lit in an outdoor ceremony with Jews and Americans from all backgrounds in Union Square. - Since its inception, thousands have followed suit all over the world.