Press_Release

‘BULLETS TO BOOKS’ WINS THE MY HERO PROJECT’S RON KOVIC PEACE PRIZE

by MY HERO Media from LAGUNA BEACH, CA

137433BULLETS TO BOOKSMY HERO

CONTACT:                                                   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wendy Milette
Director
MY HERO International Film Festival
[email protected]
949-376-5964

DECEMBER 20, 2019 - LAGUNA BEACH, CA - An excerpt from “Bullets to Books,” a documentary by Gail Prensky, Andy Truschinski and Sean MacLaughlin, is the winner of the 2019 Ron Kovic Peace Prize of the MY HERO International Film Festival. The film explores the efforts of Jok Abraham Thon, a man in South Sudan, who built a school to elevate the level of education in his region.

The film is an initiative of the Jüdische Kulturbund Project, with a mission to connect people through common experiences and encourage and freedom of expression and culture. When told of the award, Prensky, who is the creator of the project, said, “You all have given the “Bullets to Books” team in the US and in Juba a gift of encouragement and respect that will take us far. — Thanks to Jok, AnaTaban, I Am Peace, and all of the kids in South Sudan to whom we are connected, they have changed our lives forever.”

The Ron Kovic Peace Prize is presented each year at the MY HERO International Film Festival to a short film that best represents the theme of peace. Kovic has been an advocate for peace for nearly 50 years. While serving as a Marine Corps sergeant in the 1960's, Kovic was paralyzed from the mid-chest down during his second tour of Vietnam. After the war, he switched his focus to peace, becoming an outspoken voice in the anti-war movement. His autobiography, Born on the Fourth of July, became a New York Times bestseller. The book was later adapted into an award-winning film directed by Oliver Stone, starring Tom Cruise.

The Kovic Prize comes with a $1,000 cash award to support the work of artists who showcase the effectiveness of non-violent solutions. Kovic chooses the winning film each year from a list of finalists. “What Jok Abram has been through, and is doing, among his people and the children of his country is amazing,” said Kovic. “'Bullets to Books' is truly worthy. I strongly support and believe in this film. It touched me deeply.

In addition to the Kovic Prize, “Bullets to Books” took the 1st Place Award the festival’s Humanitarian Category and the film’s theme song, “I Am Peace,” won the MY HERO Song Contest Award. 

The MY HERO International Film Festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories, art, music and short films about everyday heroes throughout the world. Since 1995, MY HERO has hosted the world's largest archive of hero stories, and MY HERO resources are used in classrooms and afterschool programs in 197 countries. Learn more at myhero.com

For more information about the festival, contact Wendy Milette ([email protected]) or visit the MY HERO website at myhero.com/films/festival. 

Watch “Bullets to Books” and other festival winners:

myhero.com/winners