Celebrating Health Heroes

Enjoy these short films that shine a light on heroes and many paths to health

Amazing Doctors & Health Care Providers

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Producer: Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.

Walk Again Project

Producer: AASDAP and Lente Viva Filmes
Dr. Nicolelis is also founder of the Walk Again Project, an international consortium of scientists and engineers, dedicated to the development of an exoskeleton device to assist severely paralyzed patients in regaining full body mobility.

Laguna Beach Community Clinic | Then & Now

Producer: Cory Sparkhul

The mission of the Laguna Beach Community Clinic is to provide excellent medical care regardless of the patient’s ability to pay.

ABC Miracle Workers

Producer: John Cornick | DreamWorks Television and Renegade 83
Dr. Holland, an opthalmologist helped Todd Heritage, blind since childhood, to see again.

Dr. Judith Anderson - Community Hero Award

Producer: MY HERO

Dr. Judith Anderson helps individuals and families to have healthier relationships.

Jesse Stone - Activist Hero

Producer: Polly Green
Dr. Jessie Stone works tirelessly for health care in impoverished areas.

Providing Mobility Through Low-Cost Prosthetics

Producer: Ford Go Further
Mobility Mission is a local, nonprofit organization providing prosthetic care to hundreds of amputees worldwide that otherwise could not afford this needed service.

The Story of Cholera

Producer: Deborah van Dyke
The Story of Cholera will save lives.

Dr. Janice Clark, A Hero

Dr. Clark exhibits strength and creativity in the face of her disease and regains her love of life.

Paths to a healthier life

Laughter Yoga | Laughing for Fitness // 60 Second Docs

Producer: 60 second docs
Jeffrey Briar trains members of the Laughter Yoga Institute, a laughing club in Laguna Beach, California that works on the principle that the body cannot differentiate between “real” and deliberate laughter.

HEAL! Veterans Speak About PTSD [excerpt]

Producer: Vicki Topaz
This film features five veterans speaking about their personal challenges with coming home, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and the ways in which their service dogs assist them.

Tai Chi in the City

In the hustle and bustle of the city, surrounded by steel and concrete, the powerful yet gentle and graceful movements of Tai Chi can be a beautiful way to release stress, and come back to ourselves.

i Luv Laughing Yoga

Producer: Wendy Milette & Jeanne Meyers
Dorothy finds healing and joy with the Laguna Laughter Yoga club!

Food and Health

Edible City - Joy Moore

Producer: Andrew Hasse
Joy Moore, longtime food activist, teaches gardening and nutrition to high schoolers at Berkeley Technology Academy, makes them smoothies, and discusses her views on social justice, food, and education.

Growing a Healthy Community

Producer: Light House Studio
A documentary about Growing for CHANGE made by students in the Westhaven Community.

Urban Fruit - Ron Finley [Excerpt]

Producer: Roman Zenz
The impression of Los Angeles and how disconnected many Americans seemed to be from their food sources inspired German Filmmaker living in Los Angeles, Roman Zenz, to make Urban Fruit.

The Healthy Wrap

Producer: Produced by: Paascalino Schaller / Directed by: Paascalino Schaller, W...
Five fruit and veggies a day equals the healthy way.

Student Made Content in the theme of HEALTH!

Minimum Max

Producer: Joshua Ovalle
A brief and powerful first-hand account from high school student, Max, who must navigate through the world of ADD and all the medications that come along with it.

Baltimore Speaks

This project explores a variety of voices in Baltimore around healthcare needs for residents of the city.

Go Alfresco!

Producer: Taft High School
A PSA encouraging people to spend time outside with nature.

Surfer's Healing

Producer: Jack Winter
A non-profit gives autistic children a chance to shine.

Organizer created on 7/18/2018 5:50:17 PM by Wendy Milette

Last edited 8/1/2018 7:49:24 PM by Jun Kelly