ORGANIZER

Celebrating World Music Day | June 21

World Music Day or 'Fete de la Musique' was celebrated for the first time in 1982 in Paris, France. The event was created by Jack Lang and his colleagues at the French Ministry of Culture. French citizens were invited to create music outside in their neighbourhoods, public spaces and parks. Today, it is celebrated around the world. Explore the organizations using music to inspire and uplift people across the globe, as well as stories, art, and audio about musician heroes, below. 

Sing For Hope 

A non-profit organization, founded in New York City in response to the events of 9/11, Sing for Hope harnesses the power of the arts to create a better world. Their creative programs bring hope, healing and connection to millions of people in hospitals, care facilities, schools, refugee camps, transit hubs, and community spaces worldwide. 

Camille Zamora & Monica Yunus

By: Susan Gabriel Bunn from New York

Read this story about Camille Zamora & Monica Yunus, the best friends who founded Sing for Hope. 

SING FOR HOPE celebrates 10 years of ART FOR ALL!

By: Sing For Hope

Watch this short film about Sing for Hope and the way they inspire and uplift through music. 

Sponsored by Sing for Hope, a non-profit that uplifts and inspires through music and the arts, the Sing for Hope Music Video Award recognizes songwriters, singers, musicians, producers and filmmakers that have utilized their creative power to highlight heroes from across the globe. The prize is funded by friend of MY HERO and Sing for Hope Board Member Eva Haller and will be awarded annually at the MY HERO International Film Festival's awards ceremony in November. For more information, watch the short video below. 

Sing for Hope - Music Video Award

By: MY HERO

Guitars in the Classroom

Guitars in the Classroom provides free music integration classes for educators and school staff working with children of all ages in educational settings. They show educators how to make music, lead music for learning, and how to write songs with students in order to enhance and deepen their learning experience. Integrating music helps students learn everything from English and math, to science, physical education, social studies, visual arts and more!

Jessica Baron

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project

Read about Jessica Baron, the dynamic founder of Guitars in the Classroom. 

Jessica Baron Guitars in the Classroom

By: The MY HERO Project

Watch this short video to find out more about Guitars in the Classroom and how they're making music more accessible. 

Harmony Project

Harmony Project is one of the largest providers of music education in Los Angeles. They focus exclusively on ensuring they reach young people from low-income families and under-resourced communities, promoting healthy growth and development of children through the study, practice and performance of music. They use music to foster a culture of peace, hope and understanding amongst youth of diverse cultures, backgrounds and beliefs. 

Dr. Margaret Martin

Read about Dr. Margaret Martin, who founded Harmony Project. 

The Harmony Project Choir performs at The MY HERO Project celebration of Music Arts Educators

By: The MY HERO Project

Watch the Harmony Project Choir perform at a MY HERO celebration.

Stories about Musicians 

Joni Mitchell - 2022 MusicCares Person of the Year

By: Abigail Richardson

Read this story about the 2022 MusiCares Person of the Year, Joni Mitchell. 

Pato Banton

By: Naomi Gledhill
Read this story about reggae musician, Pato Banton, and his work to inspire peace and unity in the community.

Ella Fitzgerald

By: Julie from Selden

Read this story about Ella Fitzgerald, one of the greatest jazz singers to have lived. 

Woody Guthrie

By: Taylor from Boca Raton

Read this story about Woody Guthrie, a folk musician who used music to inspire change. 

Ludwig Van Beethoven

By: Stephanie from New Haven

Read about Ludwig Van Beethoven, one of the greatest composers of all time.

Benjamin (Benny) David Goodman

By: Lori from Warsaw, Ohio

Read about American bandleader and clarinetist Benjamin (Benny) Goodman.

Find more stories about musicians and music heroes at https://myhero.com/musician.

Listen to Music Featured on MY HERO 

Daahoud (Clifford Brown)

By: Mainstream Records (1973)

This is a recording of a composition by Clifford Brown, performed by Zackary Kiebach. 

Delicate Dreams

By: nafnegV BMI

This song was inspired by "The Peace Rose," used by the children in a Montessori school in South Carolina to teach others to get along. 

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

By: MY HERO

This song has become one of the best known African American spirituals. It has been recorded by artists across the globe. 

Art

Aretha Franklin

By: Saint George Thompson

View this portrait of Aretha Franklin, created by Saint George Thompson.

Woody Guthrie by Robert Shetterly

By: Robert Shetterly

View this portrait of Woody Guthrie by artist and friend of MY HERO, Robert Shetterly.

Bob Marley design.

By: Jocelynn Castillo

View this artwork depicting American singer and songwriter, Bob Marley. 

Links 

Organizer created on 6/12/2024 2:09:15 PM by Naomi Gledhill

Last edited 6/14/2024 11:46:01 AM by Naomi Gledhill