Cesar Chavez

by Paulina Perez from San Diego in United States

133515Cesar Chavez en huelga hall de colegio Cesar ChavezMovimiento [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]Cesar Chavez once said, “We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own” (“The Story of Cesar Chavez.”). He sought to make a big change, and he only started off as a little kid who had to work in the farm with his family. Cesar was born on March 31, 1927 (“The Story of Cesar Chavez.”). His family wasn't in that good of a condition after the Great Depression. After that, Cesar and his family became hard-working migrant farm workers. Cesar always supported his family. He quit school so that he could help his family in the farms full time. Cesar realized how poorly the farm workers were treated and the conditions they were put through. “Cesar Chavez ... was a Mexican American labor leader who organized the first effective union of farm workers in the history of California agriculture” ("Cesar Chavez."). A hero must possess leadership and hard work. To be a leader you must influence people and provide purpose to achieve something. To be hard working is to never quit, and when you have a goal you want to achieve, you do everything you can to achieve that goal. Cesar Chavez possessed leadership and hard work, which helped him become an amazing man who made a big difference in our society, and is therefore a hero.

133513Cesar Chavez visita a colegio Cesar ChavezMovimiento [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]

Cesar Chavez is a hero because he portrayed leadership throughout his life. Cesar knew from the beginning that the way the farmers were being treated was not fair. He put in extra work and time for the community: “César wanted to bring change in a nonviolent way. Many people came to help César. Many people supported César because he believed in nonviolence. Like César, they also believed that farm workers deserved better treatment, respect, dignity, justice, and fairness” (“An American Hero: The Biography of César E. Chávez.”). The people believed he had a good cause for a lot of the things he strived for. When many people support or admire someone, the person is shown as a leader. His beliefs and actions made a positive outcome on people, so he is a positive leader. As Cesar made many sacrifices to prove the quality of farm workers is poor: “Cesar was willing to sacrifice his own life so that the union would continue and that violence was not used. Cesar fasted many times. In 1968 Cesar went on a water only, 25 day fast. He repeated the fast in 1972 for 24 days, and again in 1988, this time for 36 days” (“The Story of Cesar Chavez.”). Leaders make sacrifices, like Cesar did for the union. He made many sacrifices for the people to prove what he wanted. Other people wouldn't usually go on a fast, but since he's a leader, he took that extra step. A leader encourages people to do what is best and inspires people to stand up for their rights. Cesar Chavez is a hero due to his leadership in taking an extra step by helping the farmers and improving their condition.

Cesar Chavez is a hero due to his hard work in trying to end racial discrimination and the poor treatment of the farm workers. Cesar worked hard to achieve and make a difference with the Delano grape strike; “The reason was Cesar Chavez’s tireless leadership and nonviolent tactics that included the Delano grape strike, his fasts that focused national attention on farm workers problems, and the 340-mile march from Delano to Sacramento in 1966” (“The Story of Cesar Chavez.”). He worked hard to prove that the violence and the way the farmers were being treated wasn't right. The march from Delano to Sacramento was extremely long. The fact that he did the march proves he made an effort as a hardworking individual. Cesar Chavez made a big impact with his hard work for the union. You cannot be a hero unless you work hard and strive for your best work. The first union of farm workers was effective because of the work he put into it for it to be successful. Cesar Chavez was a hardworking individual. He did everything he could to try and achieve his goals and make an impact on the people. His hard work to achieve nonviolence and fairness proves Cesar was a hero.

133514Democratic Convention in New York City, July 14, 1976. Cesar Chavez at podium, nominating Gov. BrownWarren K. Leffler [Public domain]

Cesar Chavez possessed leadership and hard work and changed so many people's lives positively, therefore he is a hero. Cesar Chavez was a hardworking individual because he led boycotts, sacrificed his life, and did many things for the community. He believed in nonviolence, and many people looked up to him for that reason. Chavez sacrificed his life for what he believed in and led many farm workers and people to stand up for what's right. Cesar Chavez inspires me and many others because of his hard work and leadership skills. He had many achievements throughout his life; “For thirty years Chavez tenaciously devoted himself to the problems of some of the poorest workers in America. The movement he inspired succeeded in raising salaries and improving working conditions for farm workers in California, Texas, Arizona, and Florida” (“Cesar Chavez.”). Cesar Chavez is an inspirational hero because the amount of work he put into changing the farm workers' condition. Cesar Chavez inspired people to stand up for their own rights. He pushed people on the daily to do the right thing. He was a man with a big heart and did everything he could to help the farmers who didn't get treated or paid right. Chavez worked hard with everything he did for the community. He took an extra step and led boycotts to prove the way farmers were being treated was not ok. His hard work of fighting against this problem paid off. Cesar Chavez was an independent man who made an impact on all of our lives forever. Even to this day, he is respected by many people.

“An American Hero The Biography of César E. Chávez.” Biography of César E. Chávez (CA Dept of Education), California Department of Education,  

chavez.cde.ca.gov/ModelCurriculum/Teachers/Lessons/Resources/Biographies/K-2_Bio.aspx.

Editors, History.com. “Cesar Chavez.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 27 Oct. 2009, www.history.com/topics/mexico/cesar-chavez.

"Cesar Chavez." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631001313/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=64cdb6bd. Accessed 29 Apr. 2019.  

Admin. “The Story of Cesar Chavez.” UFW, United Farm Workers, 2019, ufw.org/research/history/story-cesar-chavez/.

“America's Story from America's Library.” Cesar Chavez, Library of Congress

Cesar Chavez - This website explains how Cesar made an impact on us up to this day. It tells us what he achieved throughout his life.
Why Cesar Chavez is still relevant as ever - Explains what Cesar Chavez did for the community and why people still talk about him to this day. It explains how much of an impact he made on people's lives.
Cesar Chavez en huelga hall de colegio Cesar Chavez - Link to featured photo.
Cesar Chavez visita a colegio Cesar Chavez - Link to featured photo.
Democratic Convention in New York City, July 14, 1976. Cesar Chavez at podium, nominated Gov Brown - Link to featured photo.