LESSON RESOURCE

Character | Forgiveness

MY HERO Character Series: Forgiveness -the ability to release feelings of resentment or revenge towards those who have wronged you. Learn about forgiveness through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Forgiveness

Forgiveness is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories. Releasing feelings of resentment towards those who have wronged you is at the core of the character trait of forgiveness. Meet remarkable heroes through these films, art and stories, and create a dialogue with your students on the importance of practicing forgiveness in our daily lives.

Film

The power to forgive is the power to change the world. These heroes reveal this truth through their actions.

Kim Phuc - excerpt from The Sunrise Storyteller

Kasha Slavner

An interview with Unesco Goodwill Ambassador Phan Thi Kim Phuc, who survived a napalm bomb when she was a 9-year-old during the Vietnam War.

Azim Khamisa: The Tool of Forgiveness

Produced by:The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group

A grieving father overcomes tragedy by creating something beautiful in his son's name - Tariq Khamisa.

Stories

Sasha Fleischman

By: Brian

Sasha Fleischman is an agender youth who was attacked by a stranger on the bus and chose to forgive instead of prosecute.

Desmond Tutu

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project

Desmond Tutu worked to end apartheid in South Africa and encourages forgiveness.

Ronald V. Dellums (1935 - 2018)

By: Piper Dellums from Idyllwild

Ronald V. Dellums is a former U.S. Congressman who fought against apartheid in South Africa.

SCARLETT LEWIS - JESSE LEWIS - CHOOSE LOVE MOVEMENT

By: Wendy Jewell

Scarlett Lewis lost her son Jesse due to the Sandy Hook massacre. 

Jean Paul Samputu practices forgiveness - even for his father's killer

By: Marilyn Jones <br> Correspondent of <br>The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h...

Jean Paul Samputu lost his family during the genocide in Rwanda. He overcame rage and resentment by learning to forgive.

Lyndon Harris: People Making a Difference

By: Marilyn Jones<br>Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Permis...

Lyndon Harris: People Making a Difference founded The Gardens of Forgiveness Project.

Stories with Text and Audio so Students can Listen as they Read Along. Great for ESL/ELL Students

Ron Kovic

By: Nathaniel Moss

Ron Kovic has worked for peace for over four decades.

Catherine Malonza

By: Keegan Malonza from San Marcos

Catherine Malonza saved her brother's life.

Azim Khamisa

By: Monica Olson

Azim Khamisa founded the Tariq Khamisa Foundation to encourage forgiveness.

We honor those who have faced adversity and who have shown courage and resilience to be able to forgive those who have caused pain and suffering. Please share your story about a hero you know who shows the power of forgiveness.  Sign the MY HERO guestbook and share your story.

Link to the MY HERO Guestbook

Organizer created on 8/2/2019 6:30:51 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 9/14/2020 1:16:36 PM by Laura Nietzer