Children's Mental Health Awareness Day | May 11

Children's Mental Health Awareness Day was established to raise awareness of supporting children’s mental health and to end discrimination, stigma and prejudice around mental health issues.

National Children's Mental Health Awareness Day raises awareness of the importance of children's mental health in their development.

Films

Mental Health Awareness

Andy Crisp
Bringing awareness to mental health in Laguna Beach Unified School District.

Mariah Rose Faith on Mental Health

Kitty Richardson

Eva Haller Salon (excerpt) - Covid-19 & Mental Health with Ellen Haller

Produced by:Eva Haller
In this Zoom salon, Ellen Haller, a professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, discusses the impacts of the pandemic on mental health and provides advice for how cope with these challenging times.

Resilience: The Biology of Stress & The Science of Hope - understanding & supporting those who have experienced early childhood trauma.

James Redford and Karen Pritzker

By: Betty Bailey

are making films for GOOD. Their films on childhood trauma and its impact is opening hearts and minds in schools around the world.

The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia [Trailer]

Produced by:Karen Pritzker
The myths, the stigmas, the truths, of dyslexia revealed.

Technical, Vocational Education and Training for Vulnerable Youth (TVET4VY)

Produced by:Plan Rwanda / Directed by: Ramon Sanchez Orense
Building resilience in vulnerable youth through technical and vocational training

Dr. Nadine Burke Harris

By: Jane Wallace

is a champion for children who bear the invisible scars of tough childhoods

Depression

To Write Love On Her Arms

By: Breeanna from Bell City
To Write Love On Her Arms was founded to help people suffering from depression and substance abuse.

Mutual Rescue: Eric & Peety

Producer: Dir. Advocate Creative

Eric was 140 pounds overweight, depressed, and sick with the onset of type-2 diabetes. Eric went to a new doctor, who surprisingly prescribed a shelter dog. And that’s when Eric met Peety: an overweight, middle-aged and forgotten dog who, like Eric, had seen better days.

Nick Vujicic

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine

The founder of Life Without Limbs overcame depression, isolation and bullying by creating position change in the world.

Compassion

Power of Compassion & Importance of the Work of CCARE

CCARE at Stanford University
Dr. James Doty, speaks on the power of compassion and importance of the work of CCARE

Mental Health under Life-Threatening Conditions

"Fighter" Infinite Love For Kids Fighting Cancer

Producer: Kostas Lymperopoulos
'Fighter' is an authentic representation of kids fighting for their lives due to cancer.

Ann Armstrong-Dailey and Children's Hospice International

By: Susannah Abbey and<br> The MY HERO Project

To paraphrase Mother Teresa: The greatest pain on earth is not the pain of hunger or poverty but rather the pain of isolation, abandonment, and feeling unloved.  Ann Armstrong Dailey on needs of children with life-threatening conditions.

Hero

By: Hero's Friends at School

Hero is an extraordinary therapy dog who works with severely mentally, and behaviorally challenged children, cerebral palsy, down syndrome, cancer and hospice, touching lives from the ages of three to ninety-three. 

Jeni Stepanek Accepts the 2016 Humanitarian Award

Producer: Jeni Stepanek

Jeni Stepanek, mother of poet Mattie Stepanek, who died at the age of 13 from dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy, a condition similar to muscular dystrophy. She shares his message of peace, hope and life as she accepts the 2016 Humanitarian Award.

Mattie Stepanek

Producer: Nathan Smith
A short animated tribute to poet hero Mattie Stepanek. The soundtrack features the St. Paul's Episcopal Day School choir singing a song inspired by one of Mattie's poems.
Mattie J.T. Stepanek
Credit: Mattie and his peace puppy/service dog, painting by Karen Derrico

Grief, Loss and PTSD

SCARLETT LEWIS - JESSE LEWIS - CHOOSE LOVE MOVEMENT

By: Wendy Jewell

A parent of a child who was a Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting victim on loss, grief and PTSD.

HEAL! Veterans Speak About PTSD [excerpt]

Produced by:Vicki Topaz
This film features five veterans speaking about their personal challenges with coming home, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and the ways in which their service dogs assist them.

Nurturing Healing Love: A Mother's Journey of Hope and Forgiveness

By: Scarlett Lewis
This book is a must read. Ms. Lewis shows us strength, courage and wisdom and she describes the healing process she has gone through after losing her son in the Sandy Hook tragedy. She is truly an inspiration as she encourages us all to choose love.

Happiness

Dr. Patch Adams

By: Kelly Stephenson

Suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts, Dr. Patch Adams realized his passion; healing people with laughter.

mpower

mpower harnesses the power of music to change youth attitudes about mental health.

i Luv Laughing Yoga

Producer: Wendy Milette & Jeanne Meyers
Dorothy finds healing and joy
with the Laguna Laughter Yoga club!

Mr. Blue Sky

Produced by:Michael Patterson & Candace Reckinger - Song by ELO
An imaginative interpretation of the ELO song Mr. Blue Sky.

Friendship and Connections

Laguna Beach Police Anti-Bullying Campaign Featuring Tony Hawk

Produced by:LBPD Social Media Team
Laguna Beach PD's Anti-Bullying Campaign featuring Tony Hawk and Captain Jeff Calvert.

Hola Sol

Producer: Marcelo Quinones and Roberto Garza
A young boy brightens his grandfather's day by taking him on a wonderful journey.

Find resources dedicated to helping those with mental health issues

MY HERO Recommends Mental and Emotional Health Support Resources

By: Kitty Richardson
Resources to support mental health.

Organizer created on 4/30/2018 1:15:31 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 4/18/2023 1:45:41 PM by Abigail Richardson