Filmmaker

Chrissy Marshall

by Naomi Gledhill from MY HERO Staff

Chrissy Marshall is a writer, director, and YouTuber who uses her platform to advocate for the Deaf community, of which she is a part of. She has made several videos to raise awareness, such as “Getting a Cochlear Implant,” “Dos and Don’ts of Interacting with the Deaf Community,” and “Hearing Parents Perspective on raising a Deaf Child.” Her YouTube channel also features several videos in which Marshall signs along to popular songs.

Early Life and Education

Chrissy Marshall was born on September 23, 2000, in Los Angeles to a hearing family. When she was around one and a half years old, her parents took Marshall to a check up with an audiologist at which her mother raised some concerns about the fact Chrissy only spoke ten to fifteen words and didn’t babble. The doctor performed a baer test, which highlighted Marshall’s neurosensorial hearing loss. A further CAT scan showed two syndromes, Mondini Syndrome and LVAS, which combined meant that Chrissy would lose her hearing and likely be completely deaf by the time she reached middle school. Despite this, it wasn’t until high shool when Chrissy and her family would begin to learn American Sign Language (ASL). You can find out more about this via her YouTube video, “Hearing Parents Perspective on raising a Deaf Child.”

After graduating from the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) in 2019, Marshall enrolled to study Production at the University of Southern California (USC) School of Cinematic Arts. During her time there, Marshall made numerous short films. The most widely recognised, however, are ‘I.L.Y.,’ ‘Hardly What You Want to Hear,’ and ‘Rain in My Head.’

Short Films

One of Chrissy Marshall's significant contributions to media through filmmaking is her work towards authentic representation of Deaf characters and stories in film and television. Recognizing the profound impact of media on public perception, she has advocated for Deaf actors to play Deaf roles and for scripts to accurately reflect Deaf experiences. This is evident in her own work.

‘I.L.Y.,’ is a three-minute short, in which a group of girls gather to celebrate one of them having recently secured a job. The conversation quickly steers towards the lack of accessibility the girls face both in their careers and everyday lives, showcasing authentic representation whilst showing how typical their girl’s night is at the same time. Her award-winning, gripping sci-fi/thriller ‘Hardly What You Want to Hear,’ tells the story of a hard-of-hearing woman whose hearing aids get hacked. Almost all of the cast were deaf or hard of hearing. ‘Rain in My Head’ is a poignant film exploring mental health and language access through the eyes of two deaf queer women. It won multiple awards at the Easterseals Disability Film Challenge, including Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Film​.

Advocacy

As well as pushing for representation and authentic narratives in her films, Marshall has also used her platform to push for increased accessibility and inclusion of the Deaf community in all spheres of life. One of her most notable campaigns involved pushing for the inclusion of captions on all social media videos, a move which would only better the experiences of the Deaf community, but other users too. She regularly engages with her followers through live sessions, Q&A segments, and interactive content that encourages dialogue and mutual learning, and often amplifies the voices of other Deaf individuals, highlighting their stories and achievements. This collaborative approach not only broadens the scope of her advocacy but also reinforces the idea that collective efforts are crucial for driving meaningful change.

Conclusion

Chrissy Marshall's life and career are a testament to the power of advocacy, creativity, and resilience. Through her work in media, art, and community engagement, she has made significant strides towards a more inclusive and accessible world, and serves as an inspiration to many.