Coronavirus Community Heroes Call for Entries

As the world rallies together during the latest pandemic, the reality and comfort of humanity's goodness shines through. MY HERO is taking essay submissions about heroes helping others during the coronavirus outbreak. The hero can be anyone!

Winners will be announced in the categories elementary, middle, and high school, as well as professional contributors. Each winner will receive a $50 Amazon gift card, a certificate, and a MY HERO t-shirt.

Click the image below to start your story, or head to https://myhero.com/create

You can also leave a guestbook entry for a shorter Coronavirus hero shout-out.

Coronavirus contest November

Check out our June winners!

Coronavirus Contest Winners June 2020

Newswire Stories

Why tough times can mean better neighbors
Credit: Christian Science Monitor
‘Something human’: Mideast fight against virus elicits rare unity
Credit: Christian Science Monitor
Self-isolation opens a door to national service
Credit: Christian Science Monitor

MY HERO Stories

Farm2People: Eric Holdener and Anna Hopkins

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Farm2People is a nonprofit that works to deliver produce to food insecure areas of Los Angeles County in the wake of COVID-19.

Sonia Smith-Kang: Mixed Up Clothing

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Sonia Smith-Kang is the founder of Mixed Up Clothing, a boutique children's clothing line. During the coronavirus, she is using her fabric to make masks for customers and medical workers.

Avoiding the Coronavirus as a Student

By: Skyler Gallarzan
Students returning to campus in 2020 must take precautions to protect themselves from COVID-19.

Daniel Goldberg

By: MY HERO Staff
Daniel Goldberg, a Santa Barbara teen, created "Zoomers to Boomers" a collection of Gen Z shoppers who bring groceries to the Boomer generation during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. John F. Murray

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Dr. John F. Murray, a pioneer in pulmonary medicine, passed away from respiratory failure caused by the coronavirus in March 2020.

Marianne

By: Laura Nietzer
Laura's hero is her sister-in-law Marianne, a nurse who is helping patients with the coronavirus.

Stories, Films and Art Honoring Coronavirus Heroes

By: Laura Nietzer
Student work submitted from Iran for the Coronavirus Multimedia Contest

Friends of MY HERO

The Izabel Lam Foundation has created their first prototype of a face shield to donate to hospitals. They also have a 3D printed version in the works! 

Izabel Lam
Credit: Photo courtesy of Izabel Lam

Philanthropist Eva Haller is part of a group in New York City making face shields for hospital workers. To the left, a volunteer picks up 400 face shields for distribution. On the right, three ER doctors model the face shields. 

Eva Haller
Credit: Eva Haller

"We’ve begun collaborations with both Cedars Sinai and Keck Medicine of USC to produce reusable N95 style masks, face shields, and aerosol protection boxes for use during intubation."

CRASH Space
Credit: Bill Janczewski

Resources

My Hero Is You e-book
Credit: IASC MHPSS RG

Parternship

Storytelling Association of California
Credit: SAC

More Community Health Heroes

Aileen Cole Stewart: Called to Serve

By: MY HERO Staff

Aileen Cole Stewart made history as one of 18 African American nurses to serve in the Army Nurse Corp during WWI to aid soldiers with the Spanish Flu.

Federica and Baby Malick

By: Cheikh Darou Seck

Frederica Iezza, a heart surgeon who last year flew Baby Malick from Senegal to Italy for a life-saving operation, is now on the front lines in Italy battling against the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Shomy Hasan Chowdhury

By: Dorothy Lie
Shomy Hasan Chowdhury created the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) organization, for which she received an Diana Award, to combat deadly diarrhea in underserved communities.

Elaine Alsop

By: Kami Bodine from Billings, Montana

Kami's hero is her mother, a nurse who works with oncology patients.

Dr. Hawa Abdi - The Mother of Hope Village

By: Nicole
Dr. Hawa Abdi, Somalia's first female gynecologist, turned her family's land into a hospital, school and nutrition center, focused on women and children.

Abdul Satter Edhi

By: Hasan Tariq
Abdul Satter Edhi was a Pakistani humanitarian and philanthropist who founded the Edhi Foundation, a social welfare program that crosses religious barriers.

Video Tutorials for Students: Use the Writing Process to Publish a Paragraph, 3 Paragraph or 5 Paragraph Essay

Video Tutorials for Students: Using the Writing Process to Write an Essay to Submit to the Coronavirus Hero Essay Contest

By: Laura Nietzer
Students are guided through the writing process as they write a paragraph, 3 paragraph or 5 paragraph essay.

Be Ready
Credit: World Health Organization
Be Kind
Credit: World Health Organization
Donna Ashworth Poem
Credit: Donna Ashworth

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Organizer created on 3/19/2020 3:44:23 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel

Last edited 10/3/2020 3:35:07 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel