Coronavirus Hero: Street Sweepers

by Setayesh Salimi from Tehran in Iran (Islamic Republic of)

141060Elderly Street-Sweeper in Tehran, IranAdam Jones from Kelowna, BC, Canada / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)

We all know so many people who are considered heroes during the Covid-19 pandemic. For instance the doctors or nurses who sacrifice their lives saving others, or people who donate money to provide masks and gloves for others. They are real heroes for sure. But when I thought about it, I realized that we were are forgetting about some important heroes, the street sweepers.

It might seem weird, but think about it. Even when almost no one goes to work, they are at work. I had never thought of this until I saw an elderly man sweeping the streets wearing a mask during the quarantine. Most of us never think of how important their job is and what would happen to the earth without them. 

My hero is the old man wearing a mask and swiping the streets at night. Not only at the time of the pandemic, but always. I believe that they play an important role and that what they do is as important as what the doctors do. There’s no way to appreciate what they do.