LESSON RESOURCE

Courage Resources for College Students

Stories, Film and Art

Character Trait: Courage

Courage is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories. The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger and do something even when there is a risk is at the core of the character trait of courage. Meet remarkable heroes through these films, art and stories, and create a dialogue with your students on the importance of practicing courage in our daily lives.

Films

The heroes featured in these short films face challenges and carry on with strength and dignity.

Courage

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young
A 12-year-old fought for his rights and the rights of his fellow child workers.

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald
HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

Life On The Line

Brandon Hill
This documentary explores the experiences of five firefighters from the L.A.F.D.

Stories

Bianca Valenti

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Bianca Valenti is one of the few professional female big wave surfers, and she fights for equality in surfing.

Demi Lovato

By: Brittny Barcenas

Demi Lovato is a singer and actress who speaks up about mental health issues.

Iqbal Masih

By: Arushi Dogra from San Diego

Iqbal Masih was a child laborer in Pakistan whose parents forced him to work starting at age 4 to pay off their debts. He escaped by age 10 and became an activist.

My Son, Mattie J. T. Stepanek

By: Jeni Stepanek

Jeni Stepanek shares with us how her son Mattie was her hero.

Ruby Bridges

By: Olivia Keltner

Ruby Bridges was the first black child to attend the then all white William Frantz Elementary School.  

Art

Ms. Rosa Parks by Gail Slockett

By: Gail G. Slockett

Portrait of Rosa Parks who refused to give up her seat on the bus even when she faced great adversity and racism 

Nkosi Johnson

By: Saint George

Nkosi Johnson was a  young South African child with HIV/AIDS, who made a powerful impact before his death.

Malala by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Malala the young activist stood up to her enemies and continued to champion young girls' rights

Iqbal Masih

By: Sydney from Laguna Beach

Iqbal Masih was a child laborer in Pakistan whose parents forced him to work starting at age 4 to pay off their debts. 

Organizer created on 8/13/2020 10:51:15 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 9/2/2020 12:21:47 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel