Cupcake Brown

by Libby Golpariani from San Diego

125154Cupcake Brown official website picturecupcakebrown.comHer mother died when she was eleven years old when her mother died, got sent to an abusive foster home, then escaped. She became a prostitute, joined a gang too, and is now a successful lawyer. Her name is Cupcake Brown, and she had gone through a lot when she was younger but, with that terrible past, still managed to get a job as a lawyer. "Attorney Cupcake Brown was raised in a poor but happy home until a tragic incident occurred when she was eleven years old--she discovered her mother dead of an epileptic seizure. She and her brother were taken away from her stepfather, Tim Long, who was the only father she had ever known, and from her Uncle Jr.; they were turned over to their 'birth father,' a man who only wanted his children for the funding he could receive from a life insurance policy. Eventually even that was not enough incentive for him, and he turned them over to an abusive foster mother." States an article written about Brown. It seemed that her brother and step-father meant a lot to her. Sadly she was taken away from her step-father, the only father she had ever known, and she to leave her brother because of her later escaping from the foster home ("Cupcake Brown" Contemporary Authors, para 1). "At 37, she graduated from the University of San Francisco School of Law. Today, she earns more than $125,000 annually working as a lawyer in the San Francisco Bay area" Today Cupcake Brown is a successful lawyer. Places in her life that affected her a lot were mostly in L.A., where she joined a gang, became a prostitute, and got shot twice in the spine in a drive-by shooting. (Holloway, para 2). "She received her unusual name when her mother, not fully alert after giving birth in 1964, asked for a cupcake and the delivery room nurse wrote that down on the birth certificate. Brown grew up in San Diego, California, and enjoyed a fairly typical childhood until age 11, when she came home one day to discover her mother lying dead in bed from an epileptic seizure." She was originally born in San Diego, California. Although most of the eventful and more scarring parts of her life were in Los Angeles, California ("Cupcake Brown" Contemporary Black, para 2). All of the things that happened to Cupcake Brown point out amazing traits that she has. The traits are inspirational, brave, and determined. She never gave up when most people would've, and now has a very successful job in the law.

125155Cupcake Brown official law office websitecupcakebrownlaw.comCupcake Brown was eleven years old when her mother had died. Since then she was put through a lot of horrible situations and was brave for her age. In one magazine Cupcake was interviewed and she gave information about when she was younger and what she had to go through. "She lost her mother at an early age and found herself at 13 engaged in prostitution and drugs."  (Holloway, para 1). In this example from the magazine, Cupcake had to do what she did to survive on the streets, even if she didn't like it. She kept on going after her mother dying and having to be taken away from the only parent, besides her mother, that she had ever known. Another example from when Cupcake was being brave was from a biography published anonymously. "Within a week of joining the foster-care system, Brown had run away" ("Cupcake Brown" Contemporary Authors, para 1). Although most people that were in her situation would accept being in the foster home, even though they were abusive, she didn't. Cupcake escaped and left behind her brother while doing so. She had to do what she had to do to survive, even if that meant leaving her brother behind. Those are the reasons why Cupcake Brown was a brave person. She persevered through in situations that most people would give up in.

A word that had come to mind when looking at Cupcake’s story, besides bravery, was inspirational. The proof for this claim is from another anonymously published biography. "Two bullets lodged in her spine, and doctors warned her that she might never be able to walk again. After a week in the hospital, Brown regained feeling in her legs and was discharged back to a foster home." ("Cupcake Brown" Contemporary Black, para 4). It was likely that Cupcake didn't have the chance to ever walk again. Even so, she was able to walk again after a week of being in the hospital. She was lucky that day. This shows us to always have hope, even if things don't seem like they're going to take a turn for the better. There is more proof on this in Cupcakes own book. Her autobiography, A Piece of Cake. After just getting fired from Cupcake’s job, someone said "Girl, ain’t nobody gon’ hire you. You've been FIRED!" then she stood up for herself, "Oh, they'll hire me, all right," I snapped. "Someone’s gon’ hire me!" (Cupcake, pg. 233). Even though people were discouraging, Cupcake continued to persevere. It seemed like all hope was lost, but she had stood up for herself and still had hope. A lot of things had happened to Cupcake, including but not limited to; her baby being killed, rape, sexual assault, her getting jumped, and her mother dying. Although all of that happened, she still stood up for herself. All of the experiences that she had been through but had still persevered through prove that she is a very inspirational person. She’s giving others hope with her story she has.

125156Picture of Cupcake Brown from a website telling her storygoodreads.comCupcake Brown has been through so much, but has still persevered through it all. She’s brave, inspirational, and determined. She is an inspiration to many, will continue to be brave in the face of danger, and will always persevere. She inspires so many because of her life story. She’s been through so much but has still managed to live on and now has a successful job. Not to mention that the job is hard to get for most people in the first place. Cupcake Brown started off as a normal child, ended up being abused, raped, sexually assaulted, her baby was killed, she had no job, she joined a gang, got jumped, and so many other things happened to her. Even though all of this happened she persevered and ended up on top. Most people couldn't get to the spot she’s in without everything that happened to her, happening to them. Everybody can learn from her, and she is an inspiration and will continue to be one, for as long as her story is told.

Cupcake Brown Biography - Story of Cupcake Brown, a biography anonymously published.
Cupcake Brown Second Biography - Another anonymously published biography about Cupcake Brown.
Magazine Interviewing Cupcake Brown - A magazine interviews Cupcake Brown on what she's experienced in her life and what she's thought through it all.
Cupcake Brown's Autobiography - The autobiography that Cupcake wrote after experiencing many things happening in her life.