Cupcake Brown

by Sydney SIGALA from San Diego, California in United States

Why was Cupcake Brown a Hero?

Everyone has struggles that they go through. Cupcake Brown is one of the many people who have gone through hardships as a child. Her childhood consist of joining a gang, getting shot, being raped, and being in the foster care system. Cupcake Brown grew up in San Diego, California where her mother was in and out of jail and her father was never in the picture. At age 11 she was put in the foster care system where she was put into an abusive home. She ran away multiple times until she was gone for good. She eventually took a hike up to LA and joined a gang called the Crips. she described her experience with them as a family that would never let you down. On her 16th birthday she found herself caught in a drive-by shooting. The doctors though she would be paralyzed until she fought through the odds. She then traveled back to San Diego leaving the gang because of the dangerous experience she had. She was living on and off the streets, taking drugs to keep her mind off all of her difficulties. She was raped and almost killed when a man attacked her while she was sleeping. She finally decided it was time to fix her life, and she went back to school to get her high school diploma. She also met Kenneth J. Rose, who helped her go to rehab and get back on her feet. After receiving her diploma she attended San Diego Community College where she was an honors student. Then she attended San Diego State University where she graduated with bachelor in science. She moved to San Francisco to  to go attend San Francisco Law School. She now works as one of the best lawyers in San Francisco and is a spokesperson for people who are going through what she went through. A hero must possess courage and determination. Cupcake Brown was courageous for her efforts to fight through an abusive foster home and to make a better life for herself. She also showed she was determined because of all her hardships she went through as a child, therefore giving her motivation to get her life together. Brown shows these heroic traits, therefore making her a hero.

Cupcake Brown is a hero because of her courageous acts she did to have a better life for herself. Brown grew up in a household that was abusive. And ended living in and out of foster homes. In an interview with Oprah she states, “I was placed in a series of foster homes where I was repeatedly abused physically and sexually, I started running away and selling my body in order to survive. At 12 I joined a gang and started "doing what gangs do: rob, steal, fight.” Being in a foster home was rough for her because of all the abuse she had received. Running away was showed she had courage and was not ready to give up. She wanted to have a good life,therefore running was the start to her courageous acts. She also had the courage to join a gang which was very dangerous. Even though it’s not a very good choice it was better than what she has been living in before. The gang helped her learn how to survive on the street and they were her family that she never had. She also showed how courageous she was by getting back on her feet after being rapped and beaten on the street.According to the article cupcake brown contemporary,  “She walked 60 blocks to the law firm here she worked, and told her boss, Kenneth J. Rose, that she could not get straight on her own. He helped her check into a rehabilitation facility.” At that point in her life she had decided she didn't want to live that kind of life anymore and she was able to get some help. She didn't want to live the life her mother had gone through and wanted to make a change in her life. She was able to recover showing her courageous acts that she was able to do the impossible. Therefore, Cupcake brown showed her courageous act she has done to help herself get out of situations that were not beneficial for herself. She was able to turn her life around and worked hard for it.

Cupcake Brown was very determined for her goals. She wanted to become a lawyer  and had high hopes for it. She worked very hard goal and eventually accomplished it. After completing rehab she was able go back to high school when she got her diploma. She then wanted to further her career and get her college degree. She was very determined to get her college degree. According to the article Cupcake Brown Complementary,” Without even a high school diploma or a GED certificate, she enrolled in San Diego City Community College. At times, she had so little money that she could afford tuition for only one class, but she persevered. She graduated in 1995 with honors, transferring to San Diego State University as a full-time student later that year.” She was very determined for a better life after her rough childhood. Since she lived in San Diego and knew people she was able to get help into SDSU. She ended up graduating with a bachelors. Cupcake Brown then attended San Francisco Law school where she was able to get her degree if law. Brown states in an interview with Oprah,”I earned a law degree in 2001 and was admitted to the California bar later that same year. I accomplished many awards such as University of San Francisco School of Law; Judge Harold J. Haley Award for Exceptional Distinction in Scholarship, Character and Activities; National Law School, Dean's list; San Diego State University, Donald Leiffer Outstanding Alumni Award for Distinguished Service.” She was able to turn her life around by working hard with so much determination. Those awards were just the start to her amazing career.  She then showed everyone she could do the impossible with some determination. Therefore she was very determined for her goal and to live the best life she can. She now works as a lawyer for those like her who were raped and involved in gang life.

Cupcake Brown was a hero for her efforts to help herself and others get a better life after all the difficult times they have gone through. She showed her courage and determination through her action in her early adulthood. Being raped and beaten is not an easy thing, but the recovery is even worse. She was able to fix her life and go to rehab after all the difficult times she has gone through. She inspires others because she proves that she can do the impossible and you can’t give up on what you want. She wanted to have a better life and go to college. She accomplished her goal and was able to get her life back together. No matter how hard your life is, just remember that you shouldn't give up and your hard work will pay off in the future.

work cite

"Cupcake Brown." Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 63, Gale, 2008. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1606003788/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=a120174a. Accessed 29 Apr. 2019.

"Cupcake Brown." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2007. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000170779/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=a14e1df8. Accessed 14 May 2019.

“Phenomenal Woman: Cupcake Brown.” Oprah.com, www.oprah.com/spirit/phenomenal-woman-cupcake-brown/all.

interview with oprah - an interview with oprah