Curated MY HERO Multimedia Resources and Lesson Ideas For Middle School Students

Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plans for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and digital storytelling tools. 

Language Arts

English Language Arts Lesson Plans and Resources

Science Lesson Plans and Resources

Environmental Films Selections for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Teachers enhance curriculum and student learning by using a selection of curated Environmental Films from the MY HERO multimedia library. All films are appropriate for middle school students. 

For additional films highlighting environmental heroes, visit the MY HERO Environmental Film Library

Use MY HERO multimedia Ocean Conservation lesson plans and resources curated for middle school students to enrich student learning. These resources are connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14: Life Below Water.

MY HERO welcomes student stories about environmental heroes submitted through the Create Program

Ocean Conservation Efforts Lesson Plans, Activities and Resources for Middle School

By: Laura Nietzer

Students learn about science heroes as they build their reading comprehension skills reading these curated stories using the links on the left.

Activate Prior Knowledge: What do students know about the hero they are going to read about? Using a K-W-L Chart is a way to achieve this. Students write what they already know about the hero, what they want to learn and after reading, what they learned.

Active note-taking while reading is a way for students to focus on finding information and answers to questions. Have students practice the note-taking skills already taught in class while reading one of the stories. 

Students compare and contrast two storiesWhat are similar characteristics about hero qualities? How can heroic actions be different? Use a Venn Diagram and write a compare/contrast essay about similarities and differences. 

After reading a story, students make a connection to their life. How did the story make you feel? What would happen if more people acted this way? How does the story inspire you? How has the story changed the way you feel or think about a topic?

Students are invited to share the story of a science hero with MY HERO using the Create ProgramOne way to integrate this activity with science is to have students read a biography of someone they consider a science hero. Have students take notes or provide a graphic organizer for note-taking. After reading the book, students write a or multi-paragraph essay about this hero. This is a great way for an interdisciplinary unit combining science with language arts. 

For additional stories highlighting Scientist Heroes, visit the MY HERO Scientist Library.

Social Studies Lesson Plans and Resources

MY HERO Multimedia Resources for Middle School Students: Peace Activism

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO Curated Resources for Middle and High School Students - Youth Activists

By: Laura Nietzer
Inspire your students and enhance their learning at home with these resources from MY HERO

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 3/18/2020 4:24:46 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 7/29/2020 12:47:27 PM by Laura Nietzer