Curated MY HERO Resources and Lesson Ideas For High School Students

Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plans for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and digital storytelling tools.

Language Arts

MY HERO Language Arts Resources for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Science Lesson Plans and Resources

Environmental Film Selections for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Teachers enhance curriculum and student learning by using a selection of curated Environmental Films from the MY HERO multimedia library. All films are appropriate for middle school students. 

For additional films highlighting environmental heroes, visit the MY HERO Environmental Film Library

Use MY HERO multimedia Ocean Conservation lesson plans and resources curated for middle school students to enrich student learning. These resources are connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14: Life Below Water.

MY HERO welcomes student stories about environmental heroes submitted through the Create Program. 

Ocean Conservation Efforts Lesson Plans, Activities and Resources for High School

By: Laura Nietzer

Students learn about science heroes as they read these curated stories using the links on the left.

Active Reading Active note taking helps students focus on finding information and answers. Note taking can take the form of outlines, Cornell notes, mind maps or other forms of information organization. This is a good opportunity to authentically present these systems and develop their uses.

Students compare and contrast two of these stories either individually or as pairs. Students create a Venn Diagram or 3 column chart to find what characteristics, decisions, actions, beliefs, ideals, goals, etc. the two heroes have in common and what important differences make their stories different.

After reading a story, students make a connection to their life. How did the story make you feel? What would happen if more people acted this way? How did the scientist make a positive difference in the world? Why are they important? How does the story inspire you? How has the story changed the way you feel or think about a topic?

Students are invited to share the story of a science hero with MY HERO using the Create Program. One way to integrate this activity with science is to have students read a biography or research someone they consider a science hero. Have students take notes or provide a graphic organizer for note-taking. After reading the book, students write a or multi-paragraph essay about this hero. This is a great way for an interdisciplinary unit combining science with language arts. 

For additional stories highlighting Scientist Heroes, visit the MY HERO Scientist Library.

Social Studies

MY HERO Multimedia Resources for High School Students: Conflict Resolution and Peace

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO Curated Resources for Middle and High School Students - Youth Activists

By: Laura Nietzer
Inspire your students and enhance their learning at home with these resources from MY HERO

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO create to author web pages.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

How to Organize Your Students' Published Work

Click Here for Information About Organizing Student Work

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 3/18/2020 4:25:41 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 7/29/2020 2:13:49 PM by Laura Nietzer