LESSON PLAN

Dalai Lama Lesson Plan

Multimedia Curated Teacher Resource on the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibet in exile and Nobel Peace Prize laureate. Includes discussion questions and learning outcomes.

Credit: *christopher* [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]

Intro

The Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists in exile. He fled from Tibet in 1959 during the Tibetan uprising. Tibetan Buddhists believe he is the 14th reincarnation of the original Dalai Lama, who was born in 1351. The current Dalai Lama was born on July 6, 1935. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his efforts to bring about the peaceful liberation of Tibet from China. He is also a leader in environmental issues.

Stories About Why the Dalai Lama is a Hero

From Child Soldier to Human Rights Activist - Mohamed Sidibay on His Heroes: Kailash Satyarthi and the Dalai Lama

By: Mohamed Sidibay

A former child soldier from Sierra Leone, Mohamed is now a human rights activist who is fighting for quality education for all regardless of national origin or gender.

Dalai Lama

By: Jeff Trussell

Dalai Lama is the religious leader of Tibet and an emblem of Tibet's hopes for freedom.

ESL Students - Listen & Read Along:  The Dalia Lama by Davis from San Francisco 

The Dalai Lama

By: Davis from San Francisco
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

Discussion Questions

1. How did the Dalai Lama's words and actions motivate Mohamed Sidibay? Who is a hero who inspires you? What actions has your hero motivated you to work on or accomplish? Share your story with MY HERO.

2. The Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his commitment to furthering nonviolence and human rights. Who is your hero working towards human rights in a nonviolent way? Share his or her story with MY HERO.  

Portrait of the Dalai Lama 

Students analyze the portrait of the Dalai Lama by student Sajal Subodh. Pay close attention to the caption under the portrait. Consider creating a portrait of your hero with a caption of your own, and submit it to MY HERO. 

My Hero - His Holiness The Dalai Lama

By: Sajal Subodh from India (Age 14)

As part of Peace Pals International's annual children's art competition, this 14-year-old contributed a rendering of the Dalai Lama.

Watch this film to learn more about how the monks from the Tibetan Drepung Loseling Monastery are promoting world peace through sacred performing art. 

Mystical Arts of Tibet

Produced by:Logan Cascia

Monks from the Drepung Loseling create their elaborate sand mandala art and perform using traditional Tibetan instruments. (5:28 minutes)

Learning Outcome

After learning more about the Dalai Lama, students can evaluate who their own heroes are and encouraged to work on an action plan. Students will evaluate human rights issues and those working towards solutions.  

Laura Nietzer

The Dalai Lama lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Teachers: Visit MY HERO for additional curated multimedia resources honoring the Dalai Lama:

Dalai Lama Multimedia Organizer

Official Website of the 14th Dalai Lama
The 14th Dalai Lama’s Acceptance Speech, on the occasion of the award of the Nobel Peace Prize
Credit: Nobel Peace Prize

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 6/18/2019 1:39:40 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 6/28/2021 3:23:19 PM by Laura Nietzer