Danny DeVito

by Kendall Gatgens from Henrietta, New York in United States

If you could name one American icon, who would it be? One person who has been well known and makes a positive influence? While many names may come to mind, there's one person who rises to the top. His name is Danny DeVito. Born in Neptune Township, New Jersey in 1944, Danny DeVito is well and thriving at the age of 75. So why Danny DeVito? What makes him so special? 

While you can see Danny DeVito's animated acting in such classics as "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia," you can actually tell more about the 4’10” man by his actions off camera. One such example is his time off set in the movie "Matilda." In this movie, Mara Wilson, who plays said Matilda, was dealing with her mother, Suzie, having cancer during the filming of the show. In fact, Mara’s mother passed away before production of the show was completed. During this time, DeVito stepped in, and he and costar Rhea Perlmen helped take care of the girl while she was dealing with her family struggles. In the article “31-Year-Old ‘Matilda’ Star Says Danny DeVito And Rhea Perlman Cared For Her When Mom Died,” author Ilena Paules-Bronet explains the situation. The article states, “After filming wrapped, Suzie’s condition grew worse. She passed away on April 26, 1996. Mara and the rest of her family were devastated, as she explains in her memoir, Where Am I Now? The book, which is dedicated to her mother, describes an interaction that took place between Suzie and Danny that Mara will be forever grateful for. Since Suzie passed before post-production was finished, she was never able to see the completed film. Or so Mara thought. She was always upset that her mom — who loved the story of Matilda so much — never got to see the final movie, but that actually wasn’t the case. Years after Suzie passed away, Danny told Mara that he had actually visited her at the hospital with the almost-completed film and allowed her to watch it. This one act gave Mara peace of mind that her mother had seen a project she’d been so proud of. Although Danny DeVito played a horrible father in Matilda, he proved time and time again that he is actually a warmhearted man.” Losing a parent is a difficult situation. It becomes even more difficult when you’re a child, and then even more difficult when you’re a child actor trying to film a movie while your mom has cancer. But Danny DeVito helped a child going through loss in her most difficult time. Danny DeVito didn’t need to do anything, Mara was just a costar to him. But he took the extra step when he saw someone hurting and provided much-needed care. This is what shows Danny DeVito's character. These actions show his kindness and compassion. This is why I admire and look up to him. 

But it’s more than Danny DeVito's kindness that makes him a hero. It's his kindness combined with his drive and passion for what he does. In an interview with The Advocate, “DeVito said he ‘absolutely’ still has a passion for acting and has no plans to ever stop. ‘I have done half a dozen animated movies. Mainly, all of them, children's films I guess. The movies that appeal to the kids and to the adults. Yeah, I like it, I like giving the kids a good time and smiling, letting them have a good afternoon at the movies.” While Danny DeVito radiates a youthful joy, he’s no spring chicken. The average age of retirement in the United States is about sixty years old. With Danny DeVito being 75, that puts him fifteen years over the average retirement age. Plus with a net worth of about 80 million dollars, it would be more than easy for him to wrap up his career and live a laid back, lavish life. But we see him sticking with his passion, even if he could live a much easier life if he did retire. Overall, Danny DeVito is my hero because of his passion, joy, drive and being a positive influence.