Health

David

by Hayley from Memphis

My Hero in Heaven

A hero is defined as a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his or her brave deeds and noble qualities. A hero must drastically affect another person’s life, leaving a lasting impression on them. Although most individual’s heroes change as they grow up, my hero has been the same since the age of seven years old. My hero embodied the traits of a hero: noble, serving, hard-working, admirable and a servant’s heart. While my hero was all of those adjectives and more, they struggled with one of the most difficult battles anyone can endure.

Mental health has a stigma on it, and no one wants to talk about it, more specifically with men. Social expectations and gender roles play a part in why men are less likely to discuss or seek help for their mental health problems. Men are faced with the pressure every day of being strong, hard-working, dominant and in control, which makes it harder for them to feel like they can reach out and ask for help.

It takes a special man with a big heart to obtain the role of being a stepparent. David came into my life when I was a young girl and made me feel stability for the first time. He worked tirelessly every day to put others first, as a provider, a loving father, and a dear friend. He showed me the meaning of paternal love and took care of me in the way that a biological parent does. While he did so many great things for me, he struggled every day with maintaining his mental health. Although he lost his battle to mental health, he still taught me so much in just a small amount of time.

He impacted many people while he was alive and after he passed away. He changed people’s lives and helped them realize the greatest thing you can do to help yourself, when you or someone else is struggling with mental health, is to speak up and be honest. My family was changed forever with the loss of David. His death caused us to grow closer and understand in depth the true meaning of family and the love a family shares. He showed us the true meaning of a hero: noble, serving, hardworking, and an admirable person whose love for me left an impression on my heart.

I remember you, stepdad, today, tomorrow and forever.