Desmond Doss

by Evan Krecek from San Diego, California in United States

While everybody else is taking life, I'm going be saving it.

134278Desmond Dosshttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DossDesmondT_USArmy.jpgDuring the first battle of Hacksaw Ridge thousands of soldiers were wounded and many died, however over 75 men survived because of one medic. This medic was Desmond Doss. Doss was born on February 7, 1919 Virginia and grew up in a Christian family. One year after of high school, the 18-year-old went to work as a carpenter at a defense housing project in Newport News, then moved over to the Newport News Shipyard as a ship joiner, where he could have sat out the war doing vital defense work. "My boss offered me a deferment," Doss said in 2001, "But I felt like it was an honor to serve God and country according to the dictates of my conscience."

The young man joined the Army on April 1, 1942, although his faith forbade him to bear arms. Since he wouldn't carry a weapon, the Army assigned Doss as a medic to the 307th Infantry Regiment of the 77th Infantry Division. "I specifically requested medical duty," Doss said, "Because I felt that while I could not kill, I could help save human life.” During training and stateside assignments, Doss faced continual harassment over his religious beliefs. He was mocked at prayer and ridiculed for refusing to carry a weapon. The harassment ended when the 77th, the Empire State Division, enter the war in July 1944. From the start Doss displayed courage under fire, first during the liberation of Guam, and then at the battles on Leyte. But it was his actions during the fighting on Okinawa that earned Doss the nation's highest military honor and the nickname "Wonder Man of Okinawa."

April 28, Doss credited with rescuing some 75 men pinned down by artillery, mortar and machine-gun fire atop a 350-foot escarpment at Hacksaw Ridge, he carrying them one by one to the edge of the escarpment and lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of the cliff to friendly hands. May 21, during a night attack, while tending to wounded GI's, Doss was hit in both legs by grenade shrapnel. Rather than draw other medics away, he dressed his own wounds. Five hours later, while finally being carried from the battlefield on a stretcher, Doss got off and directed other medics to help a more seriously wounded soldier, only to be struck in the arm by enemy fire. Using a broken rifle stock as a makeshift splint, he crawled some 300 yards to an aid station.

134282President Harry S. Truman giving Desmond Doss the medal of honorUS Federal Government [Public domain]After joining the army he was assigned to an infantry rifle company, his refusal to carry a gun caused his fellow soldiers to view him with disdain. They ostracized and bullied him, and his commanding officers also wanted to get rid of him. But they failed to toss him out and, after requesting to have Saturday off, the other soldiers started to harass him more. Things began turning around when the men discovered that this quiet unassuming medic had a way to heal the blisters on their march-weary feet. And if someone fainted from heat stroke Doss was at his side, even offering his own canteen. No matter what, he would save others, even refusing the medical care that was for him. Doss was hit in both legs by grenade shrapnel. Rather than draw other medics away, he dressed to his own wounds. While being carried from the battlefield on a stretcher, Doss got off and directed other medics to help a more seriously wounded soldier. In the end of the battle, remaining Americans were driven back down the escarpment, except for Doss. He was the only one with the wounded. After several hours of treating the injured, he dragged them to the edge of the cliff and lowered them to safety in a rope sling. Doss never left a wounded man behind in the campaign. In the end of a defeated battle Doss remand with wounded men. He was the only one to remain with the wounded. After several hours of treating the injured, he dragged them to the edge of the cliff and lowered them to safety in a rope sling. Doss’ selfless acts and determination has bought many soldiers back home.

Desmond Doss is probably the most selfless hero who ever lived. He decided to help save lives on the battlefield without a weapon. And what he said in an interview “Because I felt that while I could not kill, I could help save human life”(GALE Biography). Raised in a Christian family, Doss refused to kill anyone. Even in the face of death countless times he never leaves a man behind. When he was wounded he refused to be carried to an aid station and let a more injured soldier to be carried to the station.

Works Consulted:

“The Official Home Page of the United States Army.”

“Dictionary of Virginia Biography”