Desmond Doss

by Liam Varga from San Diego, California in United States

The battle of Okinawa, 1945, a combat medic named Desmond Doss saved the lives of 75 wounded men while taking on waves of open fire. “Doss said, “I can’t stay here while all the other people are fighting for me”” (Dodd). This quote spoken directly from Doss himself, portrays his beliefs and his bravery right to the point. Doss refuses to let others fight his battles, when he is perfectly able to fight his own. A hero should be brave, and self-sacrificing, in which Desmond Doss is in many ways. Doss is a conscientious objector, army medic, and volunteer for churches in his hometown. He joined the army on April 1st, 1942, and later fought in the battle of Okinawa, during World War 2. Doss won the medal of honor for his courageous acts in the war and is still remembered today. Desmond Doss, known as a “conscientious objector,” is an army medic in World War 2 who is an inspirational, highly spoken of “war hero” who is brave, and self-sacrificing.

124695Desmond Doss during World War 2https://www.army.mil/article/183328/pfc_desmond_doss_the_unlikely_hero_behind_hacksaw_ridgeDesmond Doss, during World War 2, proved himself as a war hero by being brave in cases where no one else would step up. When Doss knew he wanted to make a difference in the war, he didn’t hesitate or assume he would meet his maker, he was a simple being, but made complex life altering decisions. “... The Battle of Okinawa, the bloodiest in the Pacific Theater, ran from April 1 to June 22, 1945, with more than 14,000 Allied soldiers and 77,000 Japanese soldiers killed. Tens of thousands of civilians also were killed, used by Japanese soldiers as human shields” (Erickson). The battle of Okinawa was one of the most gruesome battles in our history, Desmond Doss was brave enough to stand between rows upon rows of enemy fire, and carried wounded men one by one to get them to safety. Doss, throughout his military experience, demonstrated to everyone, that one man’s bravery can make a difference. “It was a particularly grueling onslaught with artillery coming so fast and furious that it was literally ripping men in half. The Japanese army’s plan of waiting until all the Americans reached the plateau to open fire created a devastating amount of wounded soldiers. But the Japanese didn’t know that the Americans had Desmond Doss. In an act that still astounds the surviving members of Doss’s company today, the fearless medic held his ground at the plateau.” Doss had only one thing on his mind and that was to save as many men as possible, and that’s what he did. He didn’t care about the circumstances, he just wanted a world surrounded by peace, not hate, and he pursued that dream even if it would cost him his life. “Amidst never-ending gunfire and mortar shells, Doss treated the wounded American soldiers that others may have left for dead” (Kelly). Doss stood out to the other soldiers, and to the people he saved he wasn’t just a medic, he was their guardian angel. Ever since Doss was young he helped others, and had formed his beliefs of life that would stick with him until death. He is not only my mentor, but America’s as well. Doss, being a conscientious objector, was hated on for being scared, and both mentally and physically enable, but through his bravery proved them wrong within hours. “Some men he rescued were the very people who had made his life miserable during training. In fact, Doss even treated enemy soldiers. After the heat of battle, Doss’ fellow soldiers reported seeing American bandages on Japanese corpses — apparently Doss was treating all the wounded, not just the soldiers on “his side”” (Cy).  Even though his companions and superiors ridiculed, laughed at, and even humiliated him, he not only saved them in the midst of war, but even helped the Japanese soldiers. Doss believed, “With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little of it back together” (Montalvo). Doss’s intentions are simple, he wants to help, and when everyone is out there killing each other, all he wants to do is fix their mistakes. He can’t allow people to lose their lives over it, when he can patch the mistakes up. “Private Doss was accompanying troops in the battle for a 400-foot-high ridge on Okinawa, the Maeda Escarpment, on Saturday, May 5 -- his Sabbath -- when the Japanese counterattacked. Many of the Americans were driven off the ridge, but wounded soldiers were stranded atop it. Private Doss remained with the wounded, and, according to his Medal of Honor citation, he refused to seek cover, carrying them, one by one, in the face of enemy fire…” Doss knew he couldn’t leave any wounded behind, it was not only his job, but his duty to save these men. 75 men lived another day because this conscientious objector, mostly referred to as a coward, proved everyone wrong. “... He lowered each man on a rope-supported litter he had devised, using double bowline knots he had learned as a youngster and tying the makeshift litter to a tree stump serving as an anchor”(Goldstein). Doss used his creative thinking to save the lives of 75 wounded men, his bravery and courage allowed him to do his job exceptionally as a combat medic. Even though Doss was harassed and thought of as a poltroon, he still, without hesitation displayed a great amount of bravery by saving his tormentors lives. “Doss’ superiors tried to make him compromise on his convictions by making it hard for him to go to church or trying to force him to hold a gun. He refused. As a result, he was hated by both peers and authorities, who threw shoes at him, laughed at him, and tried to get him tossed out of the army on a Section 8 “mental incompetence” discharge. Doss stuck it out, however, and later proved his worth on the battlefield, saving the lives of some of his former tormentors” (Cy). Doss was not the one to hold grudges, he only did what was right, and never thought about what happened in the past, only the present. He sure proved himself on the field, and clearly is not mentally unstable, or weak. Doss, and his courageous acts presented him with the medal of honor. “President Harry S. Truman presented him with the Medal of Honor on Oct. 12, 1945, for his actions on Okinawa. The citation credited him with saving 75 soldiers on that ridge, but he later said that the number was probably closer to 50” (Goldstein).  Doss deserved the medal of honor in many ways, but mostly for his bravery. Doss is also proven to be very humble as said so in the quote, “he later said that number was probably closer to 50.” Doss is very inspiring in this way, because if others had been put in this situation, they would most likely of stuck with 75. “So the young man joined the Army on April 1, 1942, although his faith forbade him to bear arms. Since he wouldn't carry a weapon, the Army assigned Doss as a medic to the 307th Infantry Regiment of the 77th Infantry Division. "I specifically requested medical duty," Doss said, "because I felt that while I could not kill, I could help save human life"” (Leepson) Once again, Doss has strict beliefs in which he lived by both at home, and in World War 2. When Desmond was a little kid, he had a scarring event in his life, and it stuck with him until death. The experience changed who Doss would turn out to be, and it happened for the better. “Also at a young age, Doss developed a hatred of weapons that would persist throughout his life, even during his time in combat. Doss’s hatred of weapons stemmed from watching his drunken father pull a gun on his uncle during an argument, and from his religious beliefs as a Seventh-day Adventist. His mother managed to confiscate the .45 pistol from her husband and told young Doss to run and hide it. He was so shaken, he vowed that was the last time he would ever hold a weapon”(Kelly). This is why people called Doss a conscientious objector, but he didn’t like that label, so he decided to change it to conscientious cooperator. (U.S. News and World Report.) CD16 Doss did this because he was a “proud non-combatant.” He believed that although the wars were pointless and not worth losing lives over, he can’t let others fight for him when he is perfectly able to fight himself. Doss also thought it would be better time spent saving lives, rather than taking them. This quote also displays a huge amount of courage, for one, running into a hostile plateau with no weapons, and just medic supplies. “”You know, he'd say his prayers at night and everything, and some guys took their shoes and threw shoes at him and threw things at him, made fun of him right out in the open," recalled Ken Lafond, a battalion scout from Tucson, Arizona. "I don't think I could have taken what that guy did. I don't think I could have taken it, but he hung in there” (CTF Media). They tried to force him out, whether by teasing him, or saying he has mental issues, but their lucky it didn’t work, because if it did… 75 helpless wounded would have lost their lives bleeding out on the battlefield. Doss shows courage regarding how he is brave enough to stay in the military, even if they torment him. He showed triple the courage half of the men in his company presented, and he went to work. Doss has proved his bravery, and his heroism in so many ways, and his loyalty and faithfulness allowed him to be a role model for our country, and truly present is heroic behavior.

124703This picture is from the movie Hacksaw Ridge, where Desmond Doss saved the lives of 75 wounded men.https://www.freedomsystem.org/desmond-doss-hacksaw-ridge-movie-review/During the battle of Okinawa, Doss portrayed himself to be selfless in many ways, he sacrificed his own life several times just, so he could save another. His acts of selflessness show Doss to be a hero. Doss is inspiring to many people all around the world directly because of his selflessness, and has simple, world changing intentions. “The unwavering belief that Doss' purpose was to give life and not take it makes "Hacksaw Ridge" a unique war film. “Integrity and love was the cornerstone of the movie," Knapp added. "Love for God, country and his fellow men even at the expense of his life.”” (Borha). Doss’s intentions brought motivation to the soldiers he saved, and the country, and his heroic behavior was rewarded and is still being recognized today. Doss, as said in the quote, believed that his purpose was to give life, not take it. This quote goes mostly for combat medics, soldiers, possibly even conflicted murderers, but that’s not the point. What is important is that he refused to carry a weapon during such a gruesome war, the closest thing to it was most likely a needle and stitches, or maybe a used syringe. This shows that his intentions were straight forward, and pure, he wanted to save lives, not take them. “After engaging in additional rescue efforts under fire over the next two weeks, Private Doss was wounded by a grenade that riddled him with shrapnel. He cared for his injuries alone for five hours, rather than have another medic emerge from cover to help him. While he was finally being carried off on a litter, he spotted a soldier who seemed worse off. He leaped off the litter, directing his aid men to help the other soldier.” Paying no mind to his own injury, without hesitation Doss was to the rescue. The amount of care he gave to these men, without even thinking for once about his own conditions is what inspires me most about his story. He is referred to as a war hero, a conscientious objector, a combat medic or whatever, but no, he’s just simply Desmond Doss, an inspiring, courageous, selfless, U.S. guardian, who cares more about others well-being then he does his own. I think by now it’s safe to say that Doss is very passionate about saving lives, he shows others a new way of living life, by having a different aspect on living as we know it. Living everyday like it’s your last seems like the type of thing people say right before their tragically killed, but in Doss’s case it was right before he made a difference, and changed our country for the better. Doing things for others shouldn’t be a task, it should be something that you want to do or are very enthusiastic about, and for Desmond Doss, it was. “When he was a child, for example, he once walked six miles to donate blood to an accident victim — a complete stranger — after hearing about the need for blood on a local radio station. A few days later, Desmond traveled down the same long stretch of road to give more”(Kelly). Without thinking once about himself, Doss made his journey to a complete stranger who needed blood. This an act of self-sacrifice/selflessness because Doss had no clue what could have happened to him on his way there or when he was there. Doss didn’t care about the consequences or repercussions, for he had his eyes on the prize and that was to contribute, and help. “Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire” (Congressional Medal of Honor Society). This piece shows how Doss is fearless and constantly sacrificing himself in order to save the wounded. Doss repeatedly gives shelter and ensures safety to the wounded, and while being fired upon, bandages up the soldier, and moves to the next cry for help he hears. As you can see, Doss is selfless and when he has his eye on something, it’s all his. “The grenade landed at his feet with a thud. While three other soldiers in Company B of the 307th Infantry scrambled for shelter in a foxhole, Army Company Aid Man, Private First Class Desmond Doss attempted to kick the deadly projectile away with his heavy combat boot. He had only one thought in his mind, and that was to protect his beloved men. Unable to kick the grenade clear, Doss was rocked by an ear-splitting explosion that sent 17 pieces of white-hot shrapnel into his body. Treating himself for shock, he took refuge in the foxhole with his platoon mates and spent a terrifying five hours within yards of the enemy on Okinawa.” (Telzrow) Again, Doss has proved himself to be selfless, he sacrificed his life in order to save three others, and continuously made heroic acts. Also, notice how he risks his own life, and refuses to let anyone risk their own for him. “Mr. Doss spent more than five years in hospitals being treated for his wounds and lost a lung to tuberculosis. Because of his infirmities, he was unable to seek steady work. He devoted himself to his religion and worked with young people in church-sponsored programs…” (Goldstein). He saved many, many lives and was repaid with injuries that are unimaginable. Even knowing he would take on these wounds it is clear Doss would never redo his courageous acts. Doss is recognized largely for his sacrifice, and the men he saved will be or have been forever thankful.“With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty” (Telzrow). Doss is a quick-thinker which allowed for many lives to be saved during the war, such as the rope he tied to lower men down in, and his arm brace to care for his shoulder while being fired upon. He is very innovative, and because of this skill he pursued his goal of saving as many lives as possible, and it is apparent he achieved it. He tended to his own wounds which allowed for him to build up the courage and willingness to die for what he thinks is right. “"I went to my battalion commander, Colonel Gerald Cooney," recalled the real Jack Glover…” (not the one in the movie) "...and I suggested that, in my opinion, Doss should be transferred." It should be noted that after later fighting alongside Desmond, Jack Glover's opinion of him changed entirely. "He was one of the bravest persons alive, and then to have him end up saving my life was the irony of the whole thing””(CTF Media). A lot of people had early opinions focusing on Doss which mostly were negative. He proved everyone wrong including Glover by saving his life during the battle. Everyone underestimated Doss, if they even put the time to estimate him, he was just a loony, he would be one of the first to lose their lives they thought. They almost got it, he was one of the first maybe even the first to save a life. Doss showed selflessness during the battle because Doss knew Glover never liked him, and he forgot about the things that happened, and instead recalled what's happening, and put his own life on the line for another. “The Medal of Honor recipient remembers some threats. "One fella, he told me, 'I swear to God Doss, you go into combat, I am gonna shoot you.'" After a month of being in the infantry, the army decided to grant him his wish and transferred him back to the medical corps.” Doss’s own battalion threatened to shoot him just for his religious beliefs, yet when the time came he put his life on the line for them and saved them in the big picture. No one realized Doss’s true goal was in the beginning, people thought he just wanted to be there for the experience, and was to scared to carry a gun, when he was the reason 75 men were able to ever hold a gun again. And when people knew what Doss did, he would forever be remembered.

124723Desmond Doss receiving the medal of honor.https://opentheword.org/2016/09/08/do-you-have-desmond-doss-spiritual-gift/Finally, it is clear that Doss is a hero because of his bravery and selflessness. He not only proved his courage, but his creative and innovative mind allows him to be an inspiration to many. Doss’s acts saved many lives, along with inspired others, and helped them learn the killing, in war, is not the only option. Doss knew this and allowed others to see this as well. During and after war people are changed, and mostly for the worse, Doss has displayed this time and time again about how having a good faith, and changing your morals based off both personal, and public issues. Doss did it and look at him, his name will be remembered in America’s history, and he got to save lives while doing so, he won the medal of honor, and even got to return home to his wife.  Doss most commonly inspires others through his morals. For me, it is unthinkable to go into a World War and refuse to carry a weapon, it is the difference between life and death. Some may think Doss is flat out crazy, but I chose to believe that he just simply wants to accomplish his goals. He inspires me as well because of my passions, and I think we both share similar ideas. I want to be in the army and fight for our country the way Doss did for ours, the way many others did who lost their lives for our country’s conflicts. He fought for his country, he fought for his people, and he fought for his family the way I will. His passion to save people, and help out is what drives me to be better every day. It should motivate us all to be a better version of ourselves. It doesn’t have to be single-handedly saving 75 lives by lowering them down on a hand made rope 400 ft down, it can be simply be holding a door for someone, or inspiring someone in their time of need to stand up for themselves, or be more courageous. Doss contained the bravery and the selflessness, that only very few people held them self, and that part of him, and many other things in him live on today. Desmond Doss, February 7, 1919-March 23, 2006.

Cy, Sarah. “How the Real Spiderman Saved 75 Lives During World War II.” Medium, Augmenting Humanity, 12 Dec. 2017,

medium.com/the-mission/how-the-real-spiderman-saved-75-lives-during-world-war-ii-7d43d44b7ad7.

Dodd, Brian. “32 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Hacksaw Ridge.” Brian Dodd on Leadership, 29 Oct. 2016,

briandoddonleadership.com/2016/10/13/32-leadership-quotes-and-lessons-from-hacksaw-ridge/.

Doss, Desmond. “Quotes.” IMDb, IMDb.com, 2016, www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/quotes.

Goldstein, Richard. “Desmond T. Doss, 87, Heroic War Objector, Dies.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 25 Mar. 2006,

www.nytimes.com/2006/03/25/us/desmond-t-doss-87-heroic-war-objector-dies.html.

Kelly, Erin. “The True Story Of WWII Medic Desmond Doss Was Too Heroic Even For 'Hacksaw Ridge'.” All That's Interesting, All That's Interesting,

8 Jan. 2018, allthatsinteresting.com/desmond-doss.

Leepson, Marc. “Dictionary of Virginia Biography - Desmond Thomas Doss (7 February 1919-23 March 2006) Biography.” Creating Traditional

Culture, 2015, www.lva.virginia.gov/public/dvb/bio.asp?b=Doss_Desmond_Thomas.

Meeks, Lauren. “An Example to Admire and Inspire |.” Forgingsignificance.com, 5 Apr. 2017, forgingsignificance.com/desmond-doss/.

Renn, Max. “‘Dear Lord, Help Me Get Just One More’ – Hacksaw Ridge and the Hellfire of Combat.” Maxrennblog, 26 Jan. 2017,

maxrenn.blog/2017/01/23/dear-lord-help-me-get-just-one-more-hacksaw-ridge-and-the-hellfire-of-combat/.