Thomas Alva Edison

by andrijana from Gold Coast

My hero is Thomas Edison, i choose him because he invented the light bulb to help people through the dark and the phoneograph to help talk to poeple from far distences. the first great invention that Thomas Edison made was the tin foil phonegraph.

The first great invention invented by Edison in Menlo Park was the tin foil phonograph. While working to improve the efficiency of a telegraph transmitter, he noted that the tape of the machine gave off a noise resembling spoken words when played at a high speed. Doing this caused him to wonder if he could record a telephone message. He began to experimente with the diaphragm of a telephone receiver by attaching a needle to it. He reasoned that the needle could prick paper tape to record a message. His experiments led him to try a stylus on a tinfoil cylinder, which, to his surprise, played back the short message he recorded, "Mary had a little lamb."

Another one of his great inventions was the lightbulb. Thomas Edison's greatest challange was the development of a practical incandescent, electric light. Contrary to popular belief, he did not "invent" the lightbulb, but he improved a 50 year old idea. In 1879, using lower current electricity, a small carbonized filament, and an improved vacuum inside the globe, he was able to provide a reliable, long-lasting source of light. Edison's eventual achievement was invented not just an incandescent electric light, but also an electric lighting system that contained all the element necessary to make the incandescent light practical, safe, and economical.After one and a half yeahs of work, seccess was achieved when anincandescent lamp with a filament of carbonized sewing thread burning for thirteen and a half hours.

Porter's film and the storytelling movies that followed opened the way for a major breakthrough in motion picture exhibition - the Nickelodeon Theatre. Beginning around 1905, thousands of these theatres opened in American cities. Most nickelodeons were stores converted into theatres by adding chairs. They charged 5 cents ( one nickel ), hence the name nickel odeon. They showed their silent movies, whilst a pianist played music that suited the action on the screen. The first picture theatres were called Nickelodeons, as they charged one nickel or 5 cents to see the film. These began about 1905.

Thomis Edison has helped people all over the world, when he was alive but also when he was dead, because his Inventions has made such a huge inpace in our society because if we didnt have light we wouldnt be able to see at night and also he helped us talk to people form far distences into our world also in 1905 Thomis Edison made the first ever motion pitcure and charged 5c or One Nickel back in those days for each person to see the motion pitcure. It had no sound as they spock but just music played by a pianoest who made the noise for the scean. Thomis Edison was a wonderfull man who's spiret will always be alive.