Elon Musk

by Brayden Basinger from San Diego, California

130935Elon Musk Closing the 2016 Tesla Annual Shareholders' Meetinghttps://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/27315939721"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor" (Elon Musk). When I think of what makes someone a hero, many things come to mind. A classic example of a hero might be someone who is brave and puts the needs of others above themselves, like someone who rescues a child from a burning building. Another example might be someone we look up to every day, like a parent. While these people might fit a more classic definition of heroism, there are so many other traits that can make people heroes. Certain traits of heroism are found in many individuals, but a true hero must be able to take all these traits and put them to good use; they must be the full package. Society needs heroes because we need someone to look up to; heroes must inspire us to do good. There are many ways to classify a hero, many traits to qualify heroism. But to me, the epitome of a hero is someone who is willing to sacrifice their talents for the betterment of society. A hero must possess the determination to make the world a better place. Heroes can change the world in many different ways, ranging from inventing products to investing in ideas that have a possibility to better humanity. A hero looks at the world and thinks, how can it be better? What actions must I take to make an impact? A hero should find out what they want to do, and commit 100% to that task. A hero worthy of admiration must find a way to impact society for the better, and they need to pave a pathway for greatness. They do things beneficial to future generations, not just their own. They must put others before themselves and must work hard to achieve their goal. A hero must be innovative to create products that benefit not only themselves but others around them. They must also be determined to reach their goal, and they are satisfied when it helps society. Each of us has the ability to change the world, what separates us is that a true hero acts on it; they lead by example.

130936Elon Musk, 2013 Business Person Of The Yearhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/10988777896When Musk was a kid, he had avid dreams of making the world a better place. He was interested in many fields of technology that weren't yet explored. He would, and still does, go into heavy brainstorms where he gets stuck in “MuskLand” and gets lost in his mind thinking of promising ideas to try. He later would realize that all this time spent in letting his mind wander off was planting seeds for what he actively does today. Musk was born on June 28, 1971, in Pretoria, South Africa, to parents Errol and Maye Musk. His father, a strict, well-off engineer, raised Musk most of his childhood after his parents divorced when Musk was young. Musk’s mom, a model, was the sweet, caring mother figure most children would be drawn to. Musk chose to stay with his father because he encouraged Musk’s creative spirit, funding his first IBM computer. Musk wanted to go to the United States, believing he could make the most impact in this land of opportunity.  He slowly made his way towards his goal, attending Queen’s University in Canada and later transferring to the University of Pennsylvania on a scholarship. He eventually made it to Stanford, but dropped out after two days, claiming that he felt it necessary because the computer industry was booming, and he did not want to miss out on a big movement and great possibilities. His first company was Zip2 (think Google Maps meets Yelp), then X.com, (modern-day PayPal) then Tesla, (first all-electric car) than SpaceX (rivaling NASA), and he shows no signs of stopping creating cutting-edge companies. He has always had a bigger picture of what the world could be. He is innovative and determined to make the world a better place, and so far, he is doing just that. His products reflect this, from reducing our carbon footprint through his first all-electric car, to further exploring space and giving us some insight into this currently mysterious universe. He is ambitiously capable. Elon Musk uses his innovation to revolutionize untapped industries and his determination to encourage the advancement of humanity in order to pave a pathway for the future.

130937Elon Musk unveiling Dragon V2https://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/%D0%94%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%B0:Dragon_V2_unveiling,_Elon_Musk_(KSC-2014-2727).jpgMusk, one of the top innovators changing the course of humanity, has proven that he is capable of creating products that others only dream about. These products allow future generations to live better. Musk also motivates other companies to get started with their own advanced endeavors. While at SpaceX, a space exploration company committed to bringing people to Mars when we outgrow Earth, Musk would get praise from other companies that encouraged his innovation: ‘“Elon is changing the way aerospace business is done,’ said NASA’s Stoker. 'He’s managed to keep the safety factor up while cutting costs”’ (Vance 256). He is changing the aerospace industry to improve and speed up space exploration that in turn leads to people inhabiting Mars sooner. He is reducing the amount of government funding by building reusable rockets and keeping the safety factors up through the number of hours worked, constantly improving his technology. Musk will create what needs to be created to move humankind forward, and populating Mars will help the future generations have a place to live when they outgrow Earth. This process will be faster with Musk’s new outlook on the space industry. Musk is willing to take risks to achieve a high reward. Going into this field is challenging, but what Musk is doing is a whole other level above what people thought space exploration could be. When NASA gave Boeing, a company looking into space exploration, twice as much funding than SpaceX, Elon was not mad. Instead, he is glad another company is finally getting the cue that space exploration is here and we need to seize the opportunity with this new technology: ‘“Having two companies involved is better for the advancement of human spaceflight’” (Vance 253). Musk is looking out for humanity, and he will do anything possible to achieve his lofty goal of one million people occupying Mars in his lifetime. Having two companies invested in the same goal as him makes the impossible seem possible. With Musk being so innovative this triggered other companies to wake up and face the reality of limited space and resources on Earth. Elon Musk uses his innovative instincts to push humanity forward and while not motivated by money; he knows the future generations will repay him with praise. Musk’s ambitions are further than the stars and moon; he is on a conquest to capture Mars.

130938 Elon Musk at the 2015 Tesla Motors Annual Meetinghttps://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/18659265152Elon Musk continues to stay focused on his dreams even when they seem out of reach, and he keeps humanities needs above his own. He thinks outside the box and sacrifices his time and money for the greater good. Musk has had some major lows, but despite believing all chances were gone, he still pushes for the betterment of humanity, as a true hero would do. When he started his first company, Zip2, he poured everything into it and was so committed to the final result and how it would affect people, he didn't care how to get there: ”He lived in the same rented office that served as his company's headquarters, sleeping on a futon couch and showering at the local YMCA” (Gale). Musk was determined to make his company successful that he would do anything for it because he knew after it is finished, humanity could live easier. It takes a lot of guts to put humanity's needs above your own, but a true hero will continue and endure any conditions the business comes with. Musk will persevere in the hardest times to get the results. He is also persistent on even the tiniest details. He is determined to get everything right, and won't give up until he is satisfied. When designing the Tesla, Musk oversaw everything, and when unhappy with a slight detail, he demanded perfection: “‘We have to decide what is the best sun visor in the world and then do better”’ (Vance 294). This shows that Musk is determined to get the little things right and this attention to detail must be present in top innovators. Although a sun visor will not change the course of humanity, this shows Musk’s determination to get the little things right. He has towering expectations, and this attitude of being attentive plays a significant role in what he has been able to accomplish that does change the course of humanity. Musk is determined to advance humanity and prove that if we don't act now, will we face the consequences that could have been prevented by pushing through the tough times today.

Musk is challenging what we thought was possible in many areas of science. His innovative nature allows him to think outside the box to achieve something great. Musk has made a profound impact on the world we live in today. He is eco-friendly by making the first all-electric car that is widely used today. He has allowed us to explore space further because of his new techniques that cut costs and make planetary exploration safer. Musk is an inspiration to me because he shows that if you have a good idea, don't let it go to waste. Don't go to the grave with the idea unheard. There are brilliant ideas that have not been supported with action, and if Musk kept quiet on his ambitious ideas, the world would be and think much differently. Musk could have taken the easy road and retired once he sold PayPal, but he decided to continue pursuing his ideas. He has followed his dreams and persevered through tough times and criticism to provide some of the most forward-thinking products of our time, all the while inspiring those around him to achieve more than they ever thought possible. If I could sit down for 30 minutes and talk with anyone, I would choose Musk. His ability to take huge risks and come out on top amazes me. He has an unmatched work ethic and what he does with his innovative mind is nothing short of amazing. Musk’s dreams are big, bold and innovative. He is determined to make those big dreams a reality, and will stop at nothing to get there: ”Failure isn’t an option here. If things are failing, you are not innovating enough" (Elon Musk). Musk believes failing is not allowed, and if something is worth it, don't give up. With his ambitious ideas, Musk undoubtedly has and is making a positive impact on society. He has a brilliant idea, puts it to action, and repeats. His companies on the forefront of many areas of science and technology looking to better humanity earn him the title of a hero.

"Elon Musk." Encyclopedia of World Biography, vol. 36, Gale, 2016. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631010511/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=d65d7209. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.

"Elon Musk." Newsmakers, vol. 2, Gale, 2010. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1618005283/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=b60a30f2. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.

Vance, Ashlee. Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future. Ecco, an            Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2017.

"Elon Musk." Gale Encyclopedia of E-Commerce, edited by Jane A. Malonis, Gale, 2002. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2428100036/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=817f007c. Accessed 8 Jan. 2019.

Gale Biography in Context - This webpage helped me gather important details about Elon Musk, especially about his business accomplishments.