I had to give a speech on one of my heroes, and liked it so much I thought I would share it with you guys. Emma Watson is such a great example to us all, and I thought she deserved some recognition!

Emma Watson

by Sophie Benson from Salt Lake City, Utah in United States

Emma Watson has always been determined. She has worked hard all her life, whether it be acting, graduating from an Ivy League college, or standing up for what she believes in. After spending time promoting education for girls in Zambia and Bangladesh and hearing first-hand stories about gender inequality, Watson decided to take further action and become a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. Not only did she care enough about the issue to become an ambassador, she also delivered an inspiring address at the UN headquarters where she launched the campaign HeForShe. This campaign focuses on getting rid of the negative connotation with the word feminist, and inviting men to join women and be advocates in the fight for gender equality. She encouraged everyone, no matter who they are, to support and respect women. She refused to stop fighting after receiving threats within 12 hours of making the speech, and Malala Yousafzai herself stated that she decided to call herself a feminist after hearing Watson's speech.That speech motivated countless women to stand up for themselves, get an education, and so much more. “Women and girls have always faced hurdles. But that’s never stopped us. We’ve sacrificed, fought, campaigned, succeeded, been knocked back, and succeeded again. In a race for justice, we’ve leapt over countless obstacles to win our rights.”

Emma Watson is a positive role model for young girls to look to. Her values and beliefs show her fans that hard work and dedication can get you everywhere in life.She really says it best with this quote. “If you truly pour your heart into what you believe in, even if it makes you vulnerable, amazing things can and will happen.” Emma Watson is my hero because she decided to use her voice to make a difference in the world, even though she was receiving backlash for it. She had the courage to express her opinion and inspire many all over the globe. She focuses on knowledge rather than looks, and breaks many stereotypes about actors. By standing up for people everywhere, Emma has made so many changes that only bettered the world.