Erika

by Eddie Becker

A HERO can be anyone you admire.

Eddie Becker's hero is his daughter, Erika. Erika has cerebral palsy and underwent a back operation to help her walk better.

ERIKA: "I have a problem called cerebral palsy. It's where my brain tells my legs I should walk a funny way. Before I had an operation, I'd walk really crooked and funny, and people would laugh at me and I'd get hurt, so I had an operation to make me walk straighter."

For Erika the worst part of being handicapped is being made fun of. "It really hurts," she says, "even if you try and ignore them, it really hurts. Even grown-ups, they treat me differently, but that's because I'm different. Nobody is the same, so they don't treat all of us the same because we're all different."

Giraffe Project - The Giraffe Project features those who
"stick their necks out" for the common good.

Please consider donating today [X] Close
If you'd like to support The MY HERO Project and our mission, please consider making a donation to our site. We are a safe space on the internet free of advertisements, and your contributions will help us provide free cultural and educational materials celebrating heroes and the best of humanity.