Father's Day

MY HERO celebrates the fathers, step fathers, grandfathers and those who are not fathers but who care for youth in need of guidance or support, demonstrating the best of humanity. Below is a snapshot of our archive on father heroes, through stories, art, film, and more.

Father's Day
Credit: Saint George

MY HERO Story Director Shannon Luders Manuel's essay about her father for The New York Times

Rediscovering My Father
Credit: Shannon Luders-Manuel

These stories demonstrate how fathers exemplify heroism for their children.

Should've, Would've, Could've: Paul Gagner

By: Katherine
Katherine's dad Paul Gagner is a fearless rock climber.

Mansour Azimipour

By: Sara Azimipour
Sara Azimipour's hero is her father, Mansour Azimipour, who began making money for his family in Iran at age 9, before immigrating to America and becoming a successful businessman.

Albert Cortez

By: Valerie C

A daughter sings an original song about her hero father, who turned his life around in his late teens.

Ronald V. Dellums (1935 - 2018)

By: Piper Dellums from Idyllwild
Ronald V. Dellums is a former U.S. Congressman who fought against apartheid in South Africa.

Listen & Read Along 

Jeremy Glick

By: Emmy from Saddle River

Jeremy Glick was a hero of Flight 93 and Emmy's beloved father. This story has text with audio.

Daniel Ellsberg

By: Robert Ellsberg

Daniel Ellsberg is a whistle blower and truth teller - responsible for publishing the Pentagon Papers. This essay was written by his son Robert on his father's 80th birthday.

Just Like a Father

Dave Sanders

By: Allison Barber
Dave Sanders was a teacher at Columbine High School who saved students during the Columbine shooting in 1999.

Geoffrey Canada

By: Wendy Jewell
Geoffrey Canada is an educator, social activist and president of the Harlem Childrens Zone in New York.

Moses Zulu

By: Manyun Melanie Yau from Beirut

Moses Zulu established Children's Town in Zambia to teach AIDS orphans life skills. [This story has text with audio.]

Sompop Jantraka

By: Nicole from Spokane
Sompop Jantraka helps poor children in Thailand to avoid child prostitution and obtain an education.

Art illustrates the different roles of Fatherhood

Love of a Father -Lending a hand to help find solutions

By: Hutton McKenna

Feeding Me for Life- a Father teaches his son to fish

By: Julio Lukwago of Uganda

My Hero Abba, My Grandfather by Ebrahim Ahmed

By: Ebrahim Ahmed Ansari - Grade 3C
To others my grandfather is just any other person in the world but to me he is my star, my hero. I love my Abba. One day I WILL grow up to be a HERO like him

My Father

By: Jiayuan Ruan of Taft High School
My father cares about his son more than anything in the world. He would do anything for me to make me happy. He is a teacher who teaches a lot of good lessons to me. He is a hard worker who works seven days a week, 8 hours a day for his family, so that they have food to eat and a place to live. I think he is the best father in the world.

My Dad is always there to help me

By: Jonathan Chavez of Taft High School

Portrait of My Father- a strong Influence on the artist's life

By: Salvador Dali (1904 - 1989)

This showcase of short films features a variety of relationships with fathers from filmmakers with very unique voices.

Smoke That Travels [Trailer]

Produced by:Kayla Briët
What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.

The Brainwashing of My Dad [excerpt]

Jen Senko
Once upon a time my dad was a happy go lucky, fun, non-political Kennedy Democrat... then he discovered Fox News...

Azim Khamisa: The Tool of Forgiveness

Produced by:The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group
A grieving father overcomes tragedy by creating something beautiful in his son's name - Tariq Khamisa.

Young Dads

Producer: First Light and Latimer Creative Media
Young dads speak out.

Excerpts from the MY HERO Guestbook - "FATHER HEROES" around the GLOBE.

Surjit Flora from Brampton, Ontario, Canada - 6/11/2020 12:04:32 AM

My hero is my dad Atma Singh Flora. As this weekend we celebrate Father's Day, the pain of having lost my father overwhelms me. My dad always wanted to move to Canada so he could provide better education and a better life for his kids. He wrote a letter to one of my uncles in Toronto for help. My uncle was more than willing and got in touch with an immigration office, successfully getting a visit visa for my dad. So the day came when he flew to Canada, in pursuit of a better future for his kids. I was only five years of age, going on to six. Yet, even as he lived on here in Canada, his health was failing him-- but fearing we would worry he never let on about his ill health. He spent these years in Canada as a refugee; finally after 11 years when he got his landed immigrant papers, he wrote us saying he is coming to visit us and that all of us will be moving to Canada. Sadly, my father did not live to see his family together as he suffered a fatal heart attack. We were shattered, in pain and in tears. I'm 49 today, and it's going to be 30 years since we've been living here. Yes, Canada is a wonderful country. But still so many times I can't help thinking it was here that my dad was taken away from us. And it hurts, that life is so short, all too short, and the ones we love and who sacrificed so much for us are taken away from us so very early. So early, in fact, that we couldn't even get round to telling them how much we love them. But I guess they are the ones whom even God loves so very much.

Nicholas Lamarche from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada 3/12/2020 5:59:38 AM

My father works as a shipper and receiver which means when he receives shipments, he stores shipments, stores them in the warehouse he works from, and loads them up with his forklift into trucks for deliveries. A fun fact about my dad is he is a hockey and football fan. Also, he is very honest. My dad is my hero because he makes me happy and he supports my interests. The reason why he meets the criteria of a hero is he works long hours to support the family. One time my dad made me happy was when he showed me the movie Weekend at Bernie's. Another time was when he taught me how to play hockey when I was young. Because at that point in my life, I liked to play sports. Also, around seven years ago he bought tickets to take us on a cruise. That made me very happy because when I was seven I did not like school and so I was very content that I missed an entire week. The reason that my dad is my hero is he makes me happy and he supports my interests. 

Bianca Telles Atibaia São Paulo Brazil 5/16/2016 at 7:32:49

My hero is my father, because he always support me in every single choice I make, he taught me how to be kind with everyone, not argue all the time, only when it is necessary and that arguing is not going to help you to resolve problems. He always helps me in homework, on school projects, and when I decided to move to another school he respected my choice and he always helps people and his employees. Once he helped to stop a fire in an old car that was on fire, so he always helps people whenever he can. 

Shivanandan Coimbatore Tamil Nadu India 11/26/2015 at 7:01:19

My dad is my real hero because he is the most special person in my life. He is an honest man and he is a hardworking man. On weekends he loves to play with me the whole day. During weekdays we work hard & spend maximum time working at his office. He tries his best to keep our family happy. He works hard to make money for our family. He loves me a lot & always tries to cheer me up whenever I am in a sad mood. He has always taught me good values & not spoiling me by buying me all the things that I wanted. But at the same time he has gifted me many things that I always wish to have. My dad has always tried his level best to make me a good human being. I am his only son. My father is my gift which I have been given by the god. HE IS MY REAL HERO...............

Nana Tbilisi MIDDLE KARTLI Georgia 11/8/2015 at 12:14:30

Father Ilia Kartozia is real hero! Father Ilia Kartozia, abbot of Davit Aghmashenebeli Monastery, was found dead following the fire on the “Norman Atlantic.” Father Ilia and the captain of the ferry helped people to get into lifeboats. He gave his place to a woman with a child and stayed aboard!

Julio Maximiano Juazeiro Bahia Brazil 6/11/2015 at 5:56:20

My hero is my father, he's fifty years old. He's humorous, quiet and very friendly. He is my hero because even in tough times he never denies a request for help. He has a lot of friends and is humble, not saying a bad word about anyone and he does not like intrigues. He is my hero mainly because even though with little money, he does everything he can for his family.

Alice Taichung Taichung Taiwan 5/5/2015 at 12:59:15

My hero is my father. When I was a baby he took care of me. Because at the time, my mother not only worked in the daytime but also had to study at night. My mother could not take care of me. So my father had to shoulder the responsibility to take care of me after work. During this time, my father began to read along with the role. Dad carefully taught me what I know so far. So I have always been in the top 3 scores in class. My dad often heard me say a few things in schools. Dad knew my school and dating situations, and gave me some advice for reference. Sometimes my father was busy and did not have time to play with me. But on the weekend, he will find time on holidays with our family to go out to play in some fresh air, or help me to check my homework. My father is my favorite. No one can in the world can replace my father in my mind.

Mary-Beth Listuguj Canada 1/20/2014 at 1:56:53

My father is my hero, because in times of tragedy and tremendous stress, he manages to keep his composure and focus on either what needs to be done about the situation or person. 

Abigail Vargas LACA 10/7/2013 at 4:43:41

My hero is my grandfather. Though I never had a chance to see him, I know some things about him. He was kind and loving. He took care of his wife and my mom. He helped everyone in his family. These are what I know about him. My mom wants me to be these things. I never had a chance to see him because he died, so I promised to do what he did.

Ramy Gamal Helmy Alexandria Egypt 5/23/2013 at 6:18:27

My hero is: my dad. As human beings, we have many relationships that let us be able to deal with our society and life as well. We have families, friends, companions, relatives, neighbors, and many other kinds of relations. These relations are either effective or ineffective. The greatest relation in my life is that with my family, especially with my beloved father, may God rest his soul in peace. He is considered as my hero and my best example in my whole life. Fatherhood is a powerful relation that no one could easily understand except who has a great father like mine. He is the only one who teaches me how to live, how to love and how to be a man whose only duty is to protect his family and be faithful with his work, wife and children. However, he passed away when I was ten years old, but I still remember his face, situations, words, and his endless tenderness. In addition, I am not the only one who sees him as the best man, but everyone who knows him acknowledges that. He helps everyone and a smile was usually on his face. In short, my father is irreplaceable. I wish that I could be like him in everything, protect my family and complete his way. I hope that his soul is resting in everlasting peace.

Related Pages

2019 Relationships First Finalist Films

By: Wendy Milette
Depicting in innovative ways the powerful and poignant connections in any type of contemporary family relationship.

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Organizer created on 6/2/2013 3:08:19 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 6/22/2020 3:58:04 PM by Xenia Shin