ORGANIZER

Films from BYkids.org

BYkids is a non-profit organization that puts master American filmmakers with young apprentices from around the world. They mentor the children in creating short documentaries about their lives. These documentaries carry the universal values of courage, perseverance and dignity, and illuminate critical global issues from a perspective rarely represented in mainstream media.

Holly Carter, founder and Executive Director of BYkids, was been awarded the Global Media Educator Award in 2021 by The MY HERO Project as part of their 17th Annual International Film Festival. Jeanne Meyers, director and co-founder of the MY HERO Project, stated: “If we care about the power of media to transform and educate and inspire, then her role in doing that one story at a time is profound.” 

My Country is Tibet

Produced by:Holly Carter & Dirk Simon
A young man's perspective on an ancient place.

Out of Aleppo (Trailer)

Mohammad Shasho
Mohammad Shasho (age 17) made the perilous journey from Syria to Berlin and struggles with his family to set up a new life.

Displaced But Not Defeated [Trailer]

Produced by:Mari­a Ceballos Paz and Susan Hoenig
María Ceballos Paz, a 16-year-old Colombian girl, directed, filmed and narrated this award-winning documentary that puts a human face on the statistics of displacement.

Walk On My Own (Trailer)

Produced by:ByKids
In her film, 13-year-old Ndèye Fatou Fall tells how her life has been affected by profound changes that occurred in her village a few years before she was born.

My Beautiful Nicaragua

Produced by:BYKids
12-year-old Edelsin Linette Mendez illuminates the consequences of climate change on the coffee market, her community's traditional source of livelihood and Nicaragua's primary agricultural product.

Fire in Our Hearts

Produced by:Holly Carter
Jayshree from India tells her story, illuminating the immense social and economic potential of educating girls in the developing world.

I Could Tell You 'Bout My Life (Trailer)

Produced by:BYKids
On April 10th, 2017 New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law and New York is now raising the age of criminal responsibility to 18 years old.

BYkids Trailer: FAITH’S WORLD

Faith Guilbault
Faith Guilbault (age 16) has cerebral palsy and invites us to experience living with special needs so we can all treat being differently abled with humanity and normalcy.

BYkids Trailer: L’CHAIM

Semon Shabaev | BYkids
Semon Shabaev (age 19) tells his story about resurgent Jewish life in Germany at a time of rising antisemitism worldwide.

Poet Against Prejudice [Trailer]

Produced by:Faiza Almontaser - Director Albert Maysles - Mentor
Created through with support from BYkids.org, Faiza shares her journey of using her poetry to fight against discrimination.

HOME is where you find it (Excerpt)

Produced by:Neal Baer
A sixteen year old AIDS orphan directs a documentary about finding a new family in Maputo, Mozambique.

BYkids Trailer: AGAINST THE CURRENT

Daunnette Moniz-Reyome | BYkids
Daunnette Moniz-Reyome (age 17) lives on the UmoNHon Native American reservation in Nebraska and wants to inspire her peers to celebrate their culture...

BYkids Trailer: BUDDHISM, BHUTAN AND ME

Rinzin | BYkids
Rinzin Jurmey (age 18) documents the ways in which he – and his country – are striving to preserve ancient practices