Firefighters

by Jen Stone from FTHS

Generally people tend to have only one hero, one person they idealize, one person they look up to, and one person they want to be just like. As for myself, this is not the case; I have more than one hero. My heroes are those of a specific profession. My heroes are the men and women risking their lives day in and day out for others. The people that always seem to put others’ lives before their own; the firefighters across America. A hero is someone who goes out of their way to help others succeed and survive, firefighters do this on a day-to-day basis. The impressive thing is, firefighters are always willing to lend a helping hand even when they are off duty. Take September 11th as an example, tragedy strikes and off duty firefighters come running to help with anything they can. Firefighters take advantage of every opportunity to help others.

Not only are firefighters more than willing to place their own lives on hold to save others' lives but they also put in numerous hours raising money for the less fortunate. Firefighters put on many different kinds of charity events and participate in charity drives. Firefighters put on charity basketball, hockey and other sporting event games in which they donate proceeds to different charities. Many Fire departments also participate in charity drives such as food drives or toy drives.

Many fire departments have programs in which the firefighters go out and educate the community. Groups of firefighters go into their own communities and educate children and adults about issues of fire safety such as smoke alarm testing, emergency escape plans, proper disposal of flammables and other proper fire saftey issues. Firefighters engage the community in fire safety through making school visits, education programs and going out into the community and spreading the word.

Firefighter Canoe Race- - The Massapequa Fire Department's 6th Annual Charity Canoe Race
Firefighter NHRA Drills- - Firefighters take part in numerous drill events put on by the NHRA
Firefighter Hockey Teams- - Links to different Firefighter hockey teams