Please consider donating today
If you share our goals of shining light on the heroes in our midst and empowering people around the world to create positive change, please consider donating today. The MY HERO Project is a haven of hope — a gathering of inspiration and a celebration of the best of our humanity. Our staff and millions of people around the world depend on the help of people like you so MY HERO can continue to thrive for years to come. Thank you for your donation.

Frank Lloyd Wright

by Nico from Crossroads School

Architecture is the triumph of Human Imagination over materials, methods, and men, to put man into possession of his own Earth. It is at least the geometric pattern of things, of life, of the human and social world. It is at best that magic framework of reality that we sometimes touch upon when we use the word `order.'
- Frank Lloyd Wright, 1930, 1937
Frank Lloyd Wright

Frank Lloyd Wright was born on June 8, 1867 in Richland Center, Wisconsin. He is one of the most famous architects in the world.

Wright lived in Wisconsin until 1887 when he moved to Chicago. He got his first job with J.L. doing architectural sketches. Next, he worked with Adler and Sullivan, where he was their chief assistant. He was married in 1889 to Catherine Tobin.

In 1893 Wright opened his own company where he developed the Prairie style, a uniquely American style of architecture. The prairie design consisted of plain walls and roomy living areas. From 1900 to 1910, Wright designed more than fifty prairie houses.

Wright's designs became internationally acclaimed, and throughout his life he designed masterpieces like the Guggenheim Museum and Falling Water House. At his death in 1959, he had built more than 400 buildings - and designed at least twice that many.

Library of Congress - Designs for an American Landscape Exhibit
The Arts & Crafts Society - has lots of Frank Lloyd Wright links
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation - has audio, video and excellent links
The Digital Archive of American Architecture - has great examples of all of Frank Lloyd Wright's work and good links for more information