Terry Fox

by Alex Martin

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and raised in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, a community near Vancouver. An active teenager involved in many sports, Terry was only 18 years old when he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) and forced to have his right leg amputated six inches above the knee in 1977. While in hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children, that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He called his run the marathon of hope.

Terry fox was a real strong will person, he is strong will because he managed to run as far as he did, with cancer spreading throughout his body. He is also strong will to over come having one leg, and still running over 5,000 km.

Terry fox was determined. He was a determined because he wanted to collect $1 from every Canadian and he did not want to stop till he did, so Terry Fox raised $24.17 million dollars for cancer research. To fill his dream of hope for cancer patients all around theworld.

Terry Fox was imperfect. He was imperfect because he had to get his right leg amputated, because of bone cancer. Still Terry managed to finish his run (when he was forced to stop) over 5,000 km.

Terry Fox is my hero because he helped many of the cancer patients throughout Canada. I think this is heroic because he was suffering with cancer as well, and ran with a leg brace. To date almost 300 million dollars has been raised through the annual terry fox run inTerry's name. He was Strong will, determined, and imperfect to me they are all the qualities you need to be a hero.