FREEDOM OF THE PRESS

Freedom of the Press

Article 19 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes the freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. Resources and discussion questions for middle and high school students.

Freedom of the Press

These brave journalists of past and present document and share important news to keep the public informed. Only armed with information can society make changes to beat the odds, change practices, and uphold the importance of humanity for all.

Learn About American journalist Daniel Pearl

In 2002, Daniel Pearl, an American journalist, made the headlines, not for a news-breaking story, but for his abduction and murder at the hands of terrorists in Karachi, Pakistan. He was a South Asia correspondent for the Wall Street Journal who was researching an article on terrorism when he was kidnapped. Pearl was not the first, and certainly not the last, foreign reporter to be victimized. Journalists all over the globe are being targeted and terrorized for writing what they believe are the facts and for publishing truthful articles and insightful interviews.

Daniel Pearl
Credit: Daniel Pearl Foundation

Learn About Photojournalist Dan Eldon Through Story and Film

The Journey is the Destination [Trailer]

Produced by:Kathy Eldon
This feature film tells the story of Dan Eldon, the heroic journalist who was killed while working as a photo-journalist in Somalia.

Dan Eldon

By: Wendy Jewell

Dan Eldon inspired Kathy Eldon with his art, his poetry and his life. The story has text and audio allowing students to listen as they read along. 

The Art of Life: Dan Eldon in Africa

Produced by:Charles Tsai
A moving film about Dan Eldon, an artist, photojournalist and humanitarian who was killed on assignment in 1993 when he was only 22 years old.

Journalists all over the globe are being targeted and terrorized for writing what they believe are the facts and for publishing truthful articles and insightful interviews.

Identify other journalists who have been targeted, terrorized, or killed for publishing truthful articles. 

Learn about Bill Siemering through story and film.

Bill Siemering

By: Joy Wolf
Bill Siemering is a founding board member of NPR and created its first mission statement.

Eva Haller Salon (excerpt) - William Siemering

Produced by:Eva Haller

Bill Siemering stated that "Public ignorance is the greatest threat to our country". Do you agree? Why or why not? 

Learn About Daniel Ellsberg Through Story and Art

MY HERO Suggested Viewing: The Most Dangerous Man in America (Trailer)

This film provides insight into the actions of Daniel Ellsberg, a leading American military strategist who leaked the Pentagon Papers, a massive top-secret document that pointed to government deception about the Vietnam War. 

Daniel Ellsberg

By: Robert Ellsberg

Daniel Ellsberg is a whistleblower and truth-teller responsible for publishing the Pentagon Papers in the Washington Post. Story has test and audio allowing students to listen as they read along.

Did Daniel Ellsberg do the right thing when he leaked the Pentagon Papers?

Films

Brian Lamb - A Hero for Maintaining Democracy

Producer: McKenna Young

Brian Lamb, the hero behind C-SPAN believes the press has an important role in preserving democracy.

Thanks to the Whistleblowers

Producer: Dave Puls

A musical tribute to the courage of those who stood up for justice.

Do research on whistleblowers, those included in the film and others. How do these people demonstrate courage and conviction? What positive results came from having the truth be told?

Additional Stories

Nawal El Saadawi

By: Geeta Malik
Nawal El Saadawi continued writing while in prison; her words could not be silenced.

Joseph Wemakor – Star Human Rights Reporter-Activist

By: Helena Bill

Sandi Bachom

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Sandi Bachom is a fearless, 75-year-old videographer and MY HERO Film Festival winner who lives in New York City. She recently covered the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nellie Bly

By: Lauren
Nellie Bly was a pioneer in investigative journalism who went undercover in a mental institution and traveled around the world in a record-breaking 72 days.

James Nachtwey

By: Claudia Hudson
"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

Share the story of a brave reporter or whistleblower with MY HERO through film, essay, or art using MY HERO's Create Program.  Click here for a tutorial on MY HERO's Digitial Storytelling Tools. 

Stories from the Christian Science Monitor

Russia’s first homefront casualties: Reporters and the press

By: Fred Weir CSM Special correspondent
Russian media are imploding, with most independent outlets shut by the government .

In Russia, protesters risk prison charges to speak out about Ukraine

By: Staff writer Associated Press

Robert Shetterly explains his portrait project American Who Tell the Truth and shares his artwork in this film. His portrait project celebrates those individuals, including journalists and whistle-blowers, who are courageous in their words and deeds.

Robert Shetterly

Produced by:The MY HERO Project

Related Pages

Media Literacy

Laura Nietzer

This resource about the Freedom of the Press was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Organizer created on 7/6/2022 11:09:45 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 9/19/2022 4:25:36 PM by Laura Nietzer