Theodor Seuss Geisel

by Jacob Evers

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.'

Theodor Seuss Geisel is a great example of a hero. He has written so many books for kids around the nation and the world. Dr. Seuss is one of the best children’s book writers ever. Helping kids read is why I consider Dr. Seuss a hero.

Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, MA. Ted's father, Theodor Robert, was a brew master in the city. His mother, Henrietta Seuss Geisel, often soothed her children to sleep by "chanting" rhymes remembered from her childhood. That is the reason that he started righting children’s books. Ted left Springfield as a teenager to attend Dartmouth College, where he became editor-in-chief of the Jack-O-Lantern, Dartmouth's humor magazine. He was not editor-in-chief for a long time because his friends and him got caught having a party involving alcohol. He continued to contribute to the magazine anyway, signing his work "Seuss." This is the first time he started using "Seuss" as a pseudonym, which was both Ted's middle name and his mother's maiden name.

To please his father, who wanted him to be a college professor, Ted went on to Oxford University in England after graduation. However, his academic studies made him bored, and he decided to tour Europe instead. Oxford did provide him the opportunity to meet a classmate, Helen Palmer, who not only became his first wife, but also a children's author and book editor.The Cat in the Hat is the most common and perhaps the defining book of Ted's career. Houghton Mifflin asked Ted to write and illustrate a children's book using only 225 "new-reader" vocabulary words. Because he was under contract to Random House, Random House obtained the trade publication rights, and Houghton Mifflin kept the school rights. With the release of The Cat in the Hat, Ted became the definitive children's book author and illustrator. At the time of his death on September 24, 1991, Ted had written and illustrated 44 children's books, including such all-time favorites as Green Eggs and Ham, Oh, the Places You'll Go, Fox in Socks, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. His books had been translated into more than 15 languages. Over 200 million copies had found their way into homes and hearts around the world.

My class read a book called the Hero's Trail. From this book, we learned about the qualities of hero’s and how there were five different types of hero’s. I would consider Dr. Seuss as a hero from near and far. This is because he wrote books that were published in 15 different languages, like Anne Franks diary, He also wrote many books that were easy to read and taught many important lessons such as preserving nature. This is why he is a hero from near and far.

Now that you know why I consider Dr. Seuss a hero, I hope you agree with me. He has helped so many kids, including me, read. Kids from around the world have learned to read because of this man who used his fun rhymes to inspire kids to read. This is why I consider Dr. Seuss a hero.