Craig Kielburger

by Kalaina from Calgary

Web about Craig Kielburger (I made it.)
Web about Craig Kielburger (I made it.)

“Battled Child Labour, Boy, 12, Murdered.” That was the headline in the Toronto Star on April day in 1995 that caught the eye of a twelve year old boy just trying to get to the comics section. No one knew that this article would create who might be one of the greatest peacemakers of all time. The article was about a boy named Iqbal Masih. He was sold into slavery at the age of four. After five years being a child slave, when he was nine he got freed from slavery. He touched the world by speaking out by speaking out for children’s rights. He became very popular with the public. While lots of people loved this child some hated him and wished to silence him. When he was twelve his life ended with a gunshot. Craig was twelve himself when he read this article. He knew he had to continue Iqbal’s battle. He brought the article to school and asked his class if anyone wanted to help him. Eleven hands shot up. That summer Craig went on a trip to South Asia to learn more about child labour. After his trip Craig, his eleven school friends and his brother, Marc Kielburger started making campaigns to “Free the Children,” later people started asking Craig to give speeches at special advents. After that Free the Children grew to what it is now, the largest network of kids helping kids.

Portrait of Craig Kielburger (I drew it.)

Right now Mr. Kielburger is 27 and in his prime years. He has already created many different fundraising organizations including “Brick by Brick,” “Clean water,” “Alternative Income,” and “The Vow of Silence.” Mr. Kielburger’s prime years probably started when he was sixteen and wrote his first book called “Free the Children” which was about his travels to South Asia. It was later published in the “Me to We” series. The “Me to We” series is a series of books that have been written by Craig and Marc Kielburger and team members. Some of the books titles are “Me to We” “The World Needs You Kid” and “It Takes a Child”. “Me to We” was another great campaign Craig Started. What Mr. Kielburger was saying is that if we all started thinking about each other we could change from “Me to We”. Did you know that more money we spend goes into useless lifestyle items, than Charities? So Mr. Kielburger made up this new campaign to change the world. What makes “free the children” different from other charities is how they don’t just ask adults for money but they ask children to fundraising for them. Today Craig currently has set a goal for children “to raise 1,000,000 dollars for children around the world. They are using facebook. How? Every time someone “likes them”; 1 dollar will be donated to ‘free the children.” That is why Mr. Kielburger is in his prime years right now. Let’s hope it gets continued.

Me to we cover (I drew it.)
Me to we cover (I drew it.)

Why is Craig a hero? As you have heard he fights for children’s rights. He is a very powerful speaker. He speaks like a child, gullible. When you listen to him speak, you can tell he believes in what he is saying. That makes more people believe it too. His ideas for raising money make it so the not only rich but the average person can contribute. When you look at pictures of Craig around the children he has helped, you can tell they are grateful. He is not only my hero but a hero to those children in pictures with him. Craig was born in Canada but has traveled all across the ocean many times. He is the type of guy who appreciates the great country we live in but goes out of his way to get out of it to help others less fortunate. The characteristics of a superhero are quite close to the ones Craig has; brave, helpful, kindness and he uses his “powers” (money) in the best way he can. With great power, comes great responsibility. Mr. Kielburger is a hero to many people.

Free the children logo (I drew it.)
Free the children logo (I drew it.)

So in conclusion Mr. Kielburger is a hero and a great role-model for people everywhere. To this day Mr. Kielburger and his team in “Free the Children” are helping children around the world everyday. If you want to take part in helping free the children go to www.freethechildren.com for lots of information on how to help. Lots of children in the world are still suffering from child labour. Imagine waking up everyday knowing that you will be hunched over a loom all day or perhaps you know that today you will get no food. Having no food isn’t even considered barely in Canada. We need to stop this. Craig Kielburger has taken a big step for these children but we still have a long way to go and the stairway is too big for one person. Like Mr. Kielburger says, “The change starts within each of us. And ends only when all children are free to be children.

Free the children - More information on Free the Children and how to help.
Youtube - See a inspiring video of Craig Kielburger when he was 12.

"Kids have to be tough to survive on the streets of Kathmandu, where older gang members often beat and rob them. They face cold winters, hunger, homelessness and unsympathetic police. But under each hardened shell there is still a child." -Craig Kielburger