Coast Guard

by Blaklee from Arkansas

<a href=http://www.uscga34.com/images/uscg-surf.jpg>US Coast Guard in action</a>
US Coast Guard in action

Some people have things that comfort them like blankets, teddy bears, and some people like me have a hero. I think it is something you develop over the years or have had for a long period of time, like a blanket. I have been pondering about this for a while now and what I found hero material to be is, someone or something that is always going to be there and never let me down - or anyone else for that matter. My something is and always will be a defender of our states, no matter what the disasters or conflicts. My something is my hero for now and always will be the United States Coast Guard.

In the past I have had people I thought were my heroes. Then I figured out that they did not have their head on straight or all their ducks in a row. Like when I go to the free-throw line I have to block everything out and just think about the goal. Well the Coast Guard is the same way. They have to think about the prize and focus on the gold, not what could go wrong. They are always thinking about whom or what they are saving, not about themselves. And I guess they always have to follow the motto, "Semper Paratus," which means to always be ready.

Before the Coast Guard was established they were part of other branches they did not have that specific name. When the Coast Guard was founded on August 4, 1790 they were not a part of the five branches of the U.S. government. They where founded as part of the Department of Treasury. We had a Lighthouse Service combined with our branches. The Lighthouse Service meant that each colony would have one so they could oversee everything so nothing would happen. George Washington made them sign over all of them in 1789. Then it became official, "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. Upon authority of the Department of the Navy."
See US Coast Guard FAQ for this interesting history...

When you are in the Coast Guard, you don't have an average day like you and I do. Like going to school and coming home and playing sports or watching T.V or whatever you do. No, almost everyday they go out and save at least 15 people, and it does not even stop there. They also protect land and illegal immigrants at sea, and so much more. Everyday they have 38,000 active men and women on duty to obtain the objectives for the day. The cool thing is, you know how you watch T.V and you see search and rescue missions? Well, the Coast Guard does that. Which really amazes me by far because they are out there risking their lives to save others.

So instead of having a blanket I have the United States Coast Guard on my side, throughout thick and thin, "Semper Paratus." They conquer and protect the safety of our states, each person every day. So for now and forever my Hero will be the men and women of the United States Coast Guard.

"READY TODAY, PREPARING FOR TOMORROW"

Coast Guard - USCG - About us
People of the Year - US Coast Guard - by ABC's Bob Woodruff
"What is the US Coast Guard?" - Go Coast Guard