Doctors

by Mel from Campbell River, Canada

My hero is more then one person. My hero is many people who have made life so much easier for me and many other people on earth. My heroes are the people in the busy offices each day who are coming up with new ways to make life easier for diabetics like myself to live easier and happier lives. Doctors, nurses, scientists and people who just want to help. They’ve done amazing things, like make insulin and syringes and now even insulin pumps.

The first insulin pump ever made was made in 1978. And it was as big as a microwave. And people would have to wear it all day. On their backs. With wires coming down their arms. But nowadays insulin pumps are a little bit bigger than a cell phone case. And you can keep them in cell phone cases. And you can have different colors for the cases. People's health is a lot better now too. They're not so frequently in the hospital.