John Fitzgerald Kennedy

by David from Concord

John F. Kennedy is a perfect example of a hero. During his 1000 days as president he was one of the most well loved leaders of all time. Throughout his short but successful term Kennedy helped America become a stronger and safer country. He was the youngest president elected, but also the youngest to die.

As a child Kennedy was fairly quiet. His parents, Joseph Patrick Kennedy and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy always thought he would amount to something. When John was 23 years old he graduated from Harvard. After he joined the Navy his PT boat was rammed and almost sunk. Despite his leg injuries during the crash Kennedy led all the survivors to safety. For this great deed he received a purple heart and his first taste of leadership.

Kennedy later served as an ambassador to Britain under Franklin D. Roosevelt which got him started on his successful career in politics. Before his memorable ascent to presidency Kennedy was a Congressman from Massachusetts and a very good one, too. In 1953 he advanced to the senate and decided he wanted to strive for more. Soon after JFK wrote a book called Profiles in Courage, which won a Pulitzer Prize in history. Not very long after this Kennedy almost became the Democratic vice president with Adlai Stevenson in 1956, but he lost. Later in 1960 as most people known he was a first ballot candidate for President of the United States of America.

Kennedy had a very successful term in office. He averted the Cuban missile crisis and saved the US from possible nuclear war. Also he started the space race between America and Russia, and wanted to put a man on the moon by the end of the 60's. His key speech advisor, Theodore Sorenson worked on his speeches with him to create some of the most memorable speeches in history. One of these includes his Inaugural Address, which has the famous line, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

It was a sad day for America on November 22nd, 1963. As Kennedy was driving down Elm Street in Texas with his motorcade, Lee Harvey Oswald shot him. Later Kennedy died, the doctors were not able to save him. The world stopped...all was quiet. Oswald was later convicted for the murder of the 35th President of the United States of America.

America had to move on when one of our greatest presidents was killed. After Kennedy said that he wanted to put a man on the moon, in 1969, 6 years after his death, we did so. Each day I remember the words of my hero, and in that way his memory will live on forever. He has inspired me to become the best person I can be and to believe faithfully in my country. JFK is my hero, and a hero to all.