Josh Harner

by Anna from Newark

I decided that my hero was my brother, Josh Harner. My brother is my hero because he has taught me to stay strong and to never give up, no matter what comes your way. My brother suffered through brain cancer when he was only 7 years old. Even though he had went through brain cancer and could've died, he never thought he was going to. He used to call Chemo, which is what saved him from the cancer, his army men. He said the Chemo was his army and that it was going to fight and kill the cancer. Like he always used to say, "I'm going to win!"

What my brother was very into when having cancer was baseball. My brother loved the Seattle Mariners. His very favorite player was Ken Griffey Jr. That is when a newspaper article decided to do an interview on my brother asking him about baseball and let him meet all of the Seattle Mariner players, especially Ken Griffey Jr. Ken Griffey Jr. talked to my brother about anything my brother liked. Ken Griffey Jr. really cared for my brother.

Not only did my brother like baseball and watched it, he also got to play it. My brother played little league and the parents served the ball so he didn't have to worry about getting hit by the ball. That was one major concern about my brother playing baseball. My moms friend was friends with a person who wrote a newspaper article and told her about Josh. When she heard that my brother was on a baseball team and had cancer he got another interview. The article was called "I Wanna Win" that's all my brother wanted was to win.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page Anna's dedicated to her brother, Josh.