John Lennon

by Madeline from Bradford

Give Peace a Chance

Would you rather peace out or rock out? Well my hero did both. My hero is John Lennon.

John Lennon was born October 9th 1940 in Liverpool England. His father's name was Alfred Lennon and his mother's name was Julia Lennon. His mother was very young when she had him so when his father left she wasn't able to take care of him so he went to live with aunt Mimi at the age of 4. When John was living with his Aunt Mimi, his mother died in a car crash by a drunk driver. That must have been hard for him to live through his dad leaving him and his mom dying.

The is John Lennon's self Portrait
The is John Lennon's self Portrait

John had 2 influences, his mother and his aunt. They taught him to be a gentleman, to respect others and to be a very kind role model. His obstacles were that when his mom died he wasn't able to see her and have her teach him how to be more a gentleman but when she died all he had was his Aunt Mimi. I thought that would have been a huge obstacle. Also most people thought he would be more like a rock out kind of guy not a peace kind a guy but it turned out he was both. That must have been hard having people telling him just to rock out not peace out.

John's actions were that he would try to make peace in the world. He also would hold bed ins and he would say "if everyone laid in bed all day then war would stop." I think that was a pretty big thought for one guy. Another thing he would do is he would buy billboards and on then it would say "War is Over". Some of the songs he made were about peace like Imagine. Even though some of the songs didn't sell as much as the other ones he still made it. That would have taken a lot of courage. My hero's traits are honesty and caring. He has honesty because what he said he would try to do he would do it and he has caring because he would care about people getting hurt because of war. Those character traits are great.

John's Peace and Love memorial
John's Peace and Love memorial

One night when John was coming home with his wife Yoko, a man asked him for his autograph and John was a gentleman and gave it to him. A few minutes later, that man shot John and killed him. I think it was a terrible thing that happened to John because he was a peaceful man and all he wanted was for people to love and to care for each other.

John influences me by telling me to do what I believe, also to care about people and people who get hurt by war. That really helps me. I hope you learned a lot about John Lennon and his life's story. Peace Out !