Joffrey Lupul

by Nikesh from Toronto

( ())
( ())

Joffrey Lupul is a pure force on the ice for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Teams recent break out season saw many people help boost the Leafs into a playoff spot. Joffrey Lupul is arguably the biggest addition of this hockey club's 2012 season. However, many people were not expecting Lupul to currently be third in points in the National Hockey League. This is because he missed over 80 games throughout the past two seasons.

Joffrey Lupul was born on September 23, 1983 in Edmonton, Alberta. He was drafted seventh overall the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Anaheim Ducks. This raised a high bar for the player's young hockey career. As he progressed over the years, he did live up to his expectations, being one of the leagues most skilled players. However, in fall of 2009, he started to experience back spasms and a mysterious numbness in his leg. Unfortunately, this ended up being a need for surgery on the nerves in his spinal cord. When it seemed almost impossible, Lupul's situation got worse. He was forced to get surgery again, which resulted in a blood infection in that area. Joffrey Lupul was experiencing inflexible pain.

The infection resulted in six weeks on antibiotics. He could not lift a finger. Later on, the infection came back again. Lupul experienced another two months on an IV, which lasted nearly seven months. Throughout all of this wasted time, Joffrey Lupul lost a total of 40 pounds. It seemed his athletic self was taken away from him forever. He thought he would never be able to play the game he loved again.

On December 5th, Joffrey Lupul returned to the NHL. His first game back was a total of 12 months after his last. Stapled on the third line, Lupul never seemed able to make his mark. 2 moths after his return, Joffrey was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. In the world's capital of hockey, his career awakened. He found great chemistry with Phil Kessel. Now third in points, Joffrey Lupul has helped the Leafs have a break out season.

Joffrey Lupul should be viewed as a hero by almost everyone. He showed perseverance, courage, and commitment. He never gave up. When it seemed like he would never play hockey again, he did not quit. Instead, he ended up being rewarded with a huge role for his hockey team. Joffrey Lupul has taught me and many others that if you do not give up, you will be rewarded.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Joffrey Lupul, also by Nikesh.

The Globe And Mail. "The Globe And Mail." [Online] Available http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/joffrey-lupul-wouldnt-dare-rest-on-his-laure.

Hockey Hall of Fame. Legends of Hockey.